Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine
Default eating eggs every day bad?

my mom doesn't want me eating eggs every morning because she says they're too high in cholesterol? Is this a legitimate concern? If not can someone point me to a reputable website which says it's fine so I can show my mom? I cant find much on the topic. thanks

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Eggs are one of the most nutritionally dense foods in the universe. You are not going to croak by eating 4 eggs a day. Drinking soda all day = croak. Eating Little Debbies all day = croak.

The good in eggs far outweighs any small amount of "bad'.

Here's an article I wrote on eggs:

A Look at Protein Foods: Eggs | Muscle & Strength

I address saturated fats:

Quote:
Exploring the issue of saturated fats, the FDA recommends that an individual eat 20 grams of saturated fats per day on a 2,000 calorie diet. An active, natural bodybuilder who requires 3,000 to 4,000 calories per day would obviously require more saturated fats. This requirement could go as high as 30 to 40 grams per day, or more.

Adding four whole eggs per day provides only 6.4 grams of saturated fat, and 20 total grams of overall dietary fat. As you can plainly see, there is little reason for a natural bodybuilder to avoid the egg.
Bottom Line: Eating 4 eggs a day only gives you 6.40 grams of saturated fats. You NEED (to survive in good health) 30-40 grams of saturated fats per day. Some people, like your mother, believe you should eat zero. That is BAD for health.

Avoid fried chicken. Eat eggs. Sorry mom. The end.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thread stickied. I believe it's an important question.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thread stickied. I believe it's an important question.
awesome yeah it's a common question, but i think her issue isn't so much the saturated fats its the cholesterol or something is that kinda the same thing?

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
awesome yeah it's a common question, but i think her issue isn't so much the saturated fats its the cholesterol or something is that kinda the same thing?
cholesterol is a type of fat, but it is different. But if i may parrot louie simmons for a moment (sorry been reading his and daves articles nonstop) "Cholesterol turns into Testosterone", also there is this awesome little chemical/nutrient/whatever (sorry cant remember its name) in the eggs that basically counteracts most of the bad effects of the cholesterol. Dont worry though most parents hold this view even mine do, lol, i remember when i started lifting i went to my dads for the summer or something, and he asked me how many eggs i wanted for breakfast, so i replied 6 or something and he shit a brick, and goes no your having 2...wtf was the point of the question then.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
A single egg contains 200 mgs of bad cholesterol. The myth is that eating cholesterol increases blood cholesterol. The reality is that the body produces much more cholesterol then you get from eggs.

Stronglifts addresses this issue very effectively:

Quote:
Facts on Cholesterol. You can find studies showing that high cholesterol levels will make you live longer and more immune to infections & diseases than low cholesterol levels. More facts:

* Your Body Makes Cholesterol. Your liver makes 3-6x more cholesterol than you can get eating eggs and other animal products.
* Cholesterol is Vital To Your Body. You need it for the production of steroid hormones like Testosterone and to build & repair cells.
* Dietary Cholesterol Isn’t Bound to Blood Cholesterol. There’s no relation to cholesterol & saturated fat intake to higher cholesterol levels.
Bottom line...there are a ton of cholesterol myths that are flat out wrong.

If you want high cholesterol, eat crap carbs all day, sleep poorly, and don't exercise. That should just about do it.

Here are some good cholesterol myths I found:

The Cholesterol Myths

Quote:
Here are the facts! Click on the blue arrows if you want the scientific evidence!

1 Cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals. There are no such things as good or bad cholesterol, but mental stress, physical activity and change of body weight may influence the level of blood cholesterol. A high cholesterol is not dangerous by itself, but may reflect an unhealthy condition, or it may be totally innocent.

2 A high blood cholesterol is said to promote atherosclerosis and thus also coronary heart disease. But many studies have shown that people whose blood cholesterol is low become just as atherosclerotic as people whose cholesterol is high.

3 Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent.

4 There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven't eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.

5 The only effective way to lower cholesterol is with drugs, but neither heart mortality or total mortality have been improved with drugs the effect of which is cholesterol-lowering only. On the contrary, these drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life.

6 The new cholesterol-lowering drugs, the statins, do prevent cardio-vascular disease, but this is due to other mechanisms than cholesterol-lowering. Unfortunately, they also stimulate cancer in rodents, disturb the functions of the muscles, the heart and the brain and pregnant women taking statins may give birth to children with malformations more severe than those seen after thalidomide.

7 Many of these facts have been presented in scientific journals and books for decades but are rarely told to the public by the proponents of the diet-heart idea.

8 The reason why laymen, doctors and most scientists have been misled is because opposing and disagreeing results are systematically ignored or misquoted in the scientific press.

9 The Benefits Of High Cholesterol
Check out this book. It reveals the real evil in diet...heavy carbs...

Amazon.com: Good Calories, Bad Calories (9781400040780): Gary Taubes: Books Amazon.com: Good Calories, Bad Calories (9781400040780): Gary Taubes: Books

Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Eggs are bad = Mom Science. Mom Science is a fear based on some bunk study from the 70's that came out while mom was trying to diet, and it scared the living crap out of her.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
strkout35
Max Brawn

haha ok thanks everyone, really helped me i'll be eating eggs everyday

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

May I add that (I believe) much of the OCD-ed-ness against eggs comes from steroids users who fear bad lipids panels...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Avoid fried chicken. Eat eggs. Sorry mom. The end.
Priceless!

ive been eating 5+ eggs every morning for the past 5 years and i get nothing but healthier every time.

if your 78years old and 300 pounds with high cholesterol.... then yeah chill on the eggs and eat a bowl of cheerios. bro were young, lets eat them eggs and grow.
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote