Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
IronBuildingBlock
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,717, Level: 24 Points: 1,717, Level: 24 Points: 1,717, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

IronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributor
Default What's your preference for daily caloric breakdown?

I was looking for some advice on calorie breakdown percentages for Protein, Carbs, and Fats. I assume it depends on in your'e bulking or cutting. What if you are trying to gain muscle while cutting fat? Thanks for all the help guys.
IronBuildingBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

In general, it is fairly safe to eat upwards of 35% of daily calories from protein. Generally the swing is from 20-35%. When you cut the protein ratio must increase, or else you lose daily grams.

That is about all I know.

Gaining muscle while cutting is very difficult, if not impossible for all but the most genetically gifted.. I recommend micro-cycling of 2 week bulks and cuts.

2 week bulk
2 week cut
2 week bulk
2 week cut

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
IronBuildingBlock
Uber Brawn

IronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributorIronBuildingBlock is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
In general, it is fairly safe to eat upwards of 35% of daily calories from protein. Generally the swing is from 20-35%. When you cut the protein ratio must increase, or else you lose daily grams.

That is about all I know.
Is it safe to say that over 40% Carbs is too much?
I have heard 50%Protein, 35%Carbs, 15% Fat if you are trying to gain Muscle while staying lean. Not sure sure it's just what I hear. Thanks Man
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBuildingBlock View Post
Is it safe to say that over 40% Carbs is too much?
I have heard 50%Protein, 35%Carbs, 15% Fat if you are trying to gain Muscle while staying lean. Not sure sure it's just what I hear. Thanks Man
It's harder to add fat from over-eating lean meat protein, as far as I understand it. Dairy protein, I'm not sure.

If you eat 3500 calories, and have a 50% protein ratio, that's some serious coin you'll be shelling out for protein. I believe NT is doing a clean bulk.

That's as about as much as I can add to this conversation. I'm not much of a PCF guy.

Are you familiar with your maintenance levels, and do you own a skin fold caliper? The reason I ask is that I see many guys using online calculators to determine daily calories and they aren't very accurate.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-21-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

I have calipers bro if you need them, you def need to find out your daily caloric intake and increase that number by 300 calories a day to lean bulk. Like BTB said nighttrain is the man, he just added something like 15lbs and dropped 1% in BF. You gotta play with the numbers and find what works for you. Usually high protein, moderate carb's and low fat is a good way to go. We can figure it out tomorrow, get me at break.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

50% protein is a pain in the ass. personally, for my self, i wouldnt stay there for too long. my energy goes way down when i do this
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Start with 33% C/F/P and see how you respond, tweak from there. Nutrition is a very individualized thing. It depends is always the answer.

What is your daily activity level? Desk Job, Ditch Digger? Current body fat levels, metabolism, bulking, cutting, lean bulk.

I prefer a simpler approach myself, I figure out what I want for a daily protein intake (say 200g), then split the rest between carbs & fat depending on desired effect (less carb=cut, more carbs=bulk), and try and make up any missing calories with fats (walnuts, almonds, PB, oils, etc...)
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
IronBuildingBlock
Uber Brawn

Good Info guys, thanks for the help. I think I will start with 35/25/40 C/F/P with around 2400 - 2800 cals. I'll try this for a couple weeks and see where i'm heading. Wt>221
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Start with 33% C/F/P and see how you respond, tweak from there. Nutrition is a very individualized thing. It depends is always the answer.

What is your daily activity level? Desk Job, Ditch Digger? Current body fat levels, metabolism, bulking, cutting, lean bulk.

I prefer a simpler approach myself, I figure out what I want for a daily protein intake (say 200g), then split the rest between carbs & fat depending on desired effect (less carb=cut, more carbs=bulk), and try and make up any missing calories with fats (walnuts, almonds, PB, oils, etc...)
Very good answer.

IBB...35% is solid. At minimum that's 200 grams per day, and that's a good minimum to be at for a cut.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

45/30/25 Protein, Carbs, Fats
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote