Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What's your preference for daily caloric breakdown? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1551)

IronBuildingBlock 12-21-2009 06:23 PM

What's your preference for daily caloric breakdown?

I was looking for some advice on calorie breakdown percentages for Protein, Carbs, and Fats. I assume it depends on in your'e bulking or cutting. What if you are trying to gain muscle while cutting fat? Thanks for all the help guys. :rockon:

BendtheBar 12-21-2009 06:29 PM

In general, it is fairly safe to eat upwards of 35% of daily calories from protein. Generally the swing is from 20-35%. When you cut the protein ratio must increase, or else you lose daily grams.

That is about all I know.

Gaining muscle while cutting is very difficult, if not impossible for all but the most genetically gifted.. I recommend micro-cycling of 2 week bulks and cuts.

2 week bulk
2 week cut
2 week bulk
2 week cut

IronBuildingBlock 12-21-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16210)
In general, it is fairly safe to eat upwards of 35% of daily calories from protein. Generally the swing is from 20-35%. When you cut the protein ratio must increase, or else you lose daily grams.

That is about all I know.

Is it safe to say that over 40% Carbs is too much?
I have heard 50%Protein, 35%Carbs, 15% Fat if you are trying to gain Muscle while staying lean. Not sure sure it's just what I hear. Thanks Man

BendtheBar 12-21-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronBuildingBlock (Post 16211)
Is it safe to say that over 40% Carbs is too much?
I have heard 50%Protein, 35%Carbs, 15% Fat if you are trying to gain Muscle while staying lean. Not sure sure it's just what I hear. Thanks Man

It's harder to add fat from over-eating lean meat protein, as far as I understand it. Dairy protein, I'm not sure.

If you eat 3500 calories, and have a 50% protein ratio, that's some serious coin you'll be shelling out for protein. I believe NT is doing a clean bulk.

That's as about as much as I can add to this conversation. I'm not much of a PCF guy.

Are you familiar with your maintenance levels, and do you own a skin fold caliper? The reason I ask is that I see many guys using online calculators to determine daily calories and they aren't very accurate.

rippednmichigan 12-21-2009 07:29 PM

I have calipers bro if you need them, you def need to find out your daily caloric intake and increase that number by 300 calories a day to lean bulk. Like BTB said nighttrain is the man, he just added something like 15lbs and dropped 1% in BF. You gotta play with the numbers and find what works for you. Usually high protein, moderate carb's and low fat is a good way to go. We can figure it out tomorrow, get me at break.

kman025 12-21-2009 09:28 PM

50% protein is a pain in the ass. personally, for my self, i wouldnt stay there for too long. my energy goes way down when i do this

JesseA 12-21-2009 11:46 PM

Start with 33% C/F/P and see how you respond, tweak from there. Nutrition is a very individualized thing. It depends is always the answer.

What is your daily activity level? Desk Job, Ditch Digger? Current body fat levels, metabolism, bulking, cutting, lean bulk.

I prefer a simpler approach myself, I figure out what I want for a daily protein intake (say 200g), then split the rest between carbs & fat depending on desired effect (less carb=cut, more carbs=bulk), and try and make up any missing calories with fats (walnuts, almonds, PB, oils, etc...)

IronBuildingBlock 12-22-2009 03:24 AM

Good Info guys, thanks for the help. I think I will start with 35/25/40 C/F/P with around 2400 - 2800 cals. I'll try this for a couple weeks and see where i'm heading. Wt>221

BendtheBar 12-22-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 16269)
Start with 33% C/F/P and see how you respond, tweak from there. Nutrition is a very individualized thing. It depends is always the answer.

What is your daily activity level? Desk Job, Ditch Digger? Current body fat levels, metabolism, bulking, cutting, lean bulk.

I prefer a simpler approach myself, I figure out what I want for a daily protein intake (say 200g), then split the rest between carbs & fat depending on desired effect (less carb=cut, more carbs=bulk), and try and make up any missing calories with fats (walnuts, almonds, PB, oils, etc...)

Very good answer.

IBB...35% is solid. At minimum that's 200 grams per day, and that's a good minimum to be at for a cut.

bwys61 12-22-2009 09:34 AM

45/30/25 Protein, Carbs, Fats