Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pineapple & magic enzymes (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15477)

syn 11-11-2013 02:47 PM

Pineapple & magic enzymes

Hi Guys, I have read that some people believe that Pineapple contains some enzymes that help your body break down & digest protein?
I think Leroy Coblert may have said this

Is this true?
or a convenient myth? as its not bad thing to get more fruit in your diet

Tannhauser 11-11-2013 02:56 PM

No, it's right. Bromelain or something like that. Just don't leave it on your gums :)

There's plenty of reasons to eat fresh pineapple, but I wouldn't bother doing it for the enzymes. The body does a fine job of breaking down protein all on its own.

syn 11-11-2013 05:13 PM

Interesting, usually brush or rinse with mouth wash after fruit anyway.

Also heard it helps if suffer from gas, but either way I'll be eating.

syn 11-11-2013 05:22 PM

Reading up on Bromelain, its also found in kiwi

Quote:

Bromelain aids digestion by enhancing the effects of the digestive enzymes trypsin and pepin. It can also help to prevent heartburn by ease diarrhea, if either are caused by a deficiency of digestive enzymes

Quote:

Bromelain has potent anti-inflammatory properties and therefore may be useful in promoting the healing of minor muscle injuries such as sprains and strains. Results of one study also found evidence to suggest that it can help to improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. When applied topically it may help to speed wound healing
Intesrting stuff

bamazav 11-11-2013 08:12 PM

Raw Pineapple is good for eliminating intestinal parasites. Not that this fact has anything to with the conversation.

Dray 11-11-2013 09:31 PM

There is no magic fruit. Just stick with...

Oh, wait. :p

But yeah, interesting stuff, Syn.

5kgLifter 11-12-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syn (Post 425867)
Reading up on Bromelain, its also found in kiwi

Intesrting stuff

Didn't realise Bromelain was in kiwi fruit as well, but yes, as Tann mentioned, it contains Bromelain.

Bromelain is also good to use pre-surgery, it helps the walls of the cells recuperate or some such thing; I would look it up in my book but can't be bothered ;) but basically, pineapple (any Bromelian containing fruit) is good for the artery/cell walls and helps with recovery from internal surgery due to how it affects the blood/cell structures etc.

Squatter 11-12-2013 10:49 AM

When I started eating fresh pineapple everyday, as I also heard it is very anti-inflammatory, the inflammation in my eyes and facet joints also declined. I believe it is partially responsible for my healing. I have been eating it religiously every day (good thing Costco sells it fresh cut all year long) and my inflammation has stayed away.:)