Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Bozowski
Brawn
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat rack douchebag curl
Bozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good posts
Default Getting protein on mostly vegetarian/vegan "diet"

Hello peeps.

As of couple of months now Im eating either vegetarian food or vegan, I found it to be easier on my stomach, I do eat chicken, fish and elk now and then, but not often, maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. I am lactose intolerant and gluten makes my stomach blow up. I do not track macros, I eat when Im hungry and as much as I want to, I do have a huge appetite so getting enough calories has never been a problem. However I have noticed that Im not getting enough protein, I did check how much I get for the past 4 days and it is not enough. I would like to be able to get about 150g - 180g protein/day. I did try Whey protein but that runs through me immediately so that one is a no go, I did try the lactose free but they taste like sh*t (sorry for my language).

Any tips on vegetarian lactose free, or vegan even, protein dense foods? How much of those do I need to eat per day to reach my goal of at least 150g protein?

Thanks in advance!
Bozowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Around here, there seems to be an increasing range of lactose-free dairy products (not whey powder; actual food) available. Not sure about Sweden, but might be worth a look.

Quinoa is your best bet, vegan-wise, so I hear. Other foods that might work well are things like beans, nuts, seeds, and products such as "seitan" (made from wheat, I believe).

If you can still eat meat though... well, the best choice there would be, er, lots of meat. The more you can stomach, the better, within reason. Vital amino acids, iron, B12, etc., etc.

Either way, you can find "how much protein in [this amount] of [this food]" sites via the Googles, pretty easily.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

You might find some useful information about diet here:

http://www.vegetarianbodybuilder.com/index2.html
Old 10-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Oh good grief, how could I forget EGGS?! Y'know, those things I eat every single day.

Post-workout brain, such as it is, lol.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Eggs
Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

For protein powders, there's Hemp protein and Pea Protein, they may be an option.

The choices get more restricted for the vegan with a lot more options for the vegetarian which in itself is dependent on whether the vegetarian chooses (or likes) eating fish and eggs, some eat one and not the other source etc.

Vegetarian bodybuilders, the few I've seen, tend to have more lean mass and overall mass than the vegan bodybuilders. There's probably a decent vegan bodybuilding site out there but that may take some searching to find.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 10-01-2013 at 04:03 AM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I get nearly 300 grams of protein in every day, and I'm peskatarian, so the only animal I eat is fish.

Just fish ,eggs, and peanut butter. plus whatever in my carbs.

The only time I have a whey shake is post workout, and thats only 30 grams of protein.

I also don't eat any dairy whatsoever, because it makes my teen acne come back.

Its defiantly do able on a diet like that, like I said I do it everyday. Not that I probably need nearly 300 grams a day, it just sort of accumulates because of the diet I have.

Fish, eggs, and peanut butter are you're friend. And remember, you're carbs should have a decent amount protein in too.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Bozowski
Brawn
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat rack douchebag curl
Bozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good postsBozowski has made some good posts

Thanks everyone for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I get nearly 300 grams of protein in every day, and I'm peskatarian, so the only animal I eat is fish.

Just fish ,eggs, and peanut butter. plus whatever in my carbs.

The only time I have a whey shake is post workout, and thats only 30 grams of protein.

I also don't eat any dairy whatsoever, because it makes my teen acne come back.

Its defiantly do able on a diet like that, like I said I do it everyday. Not that I probably need nearly 300 grams a day, it just sort of accumulates because of the diet I have.

Fish, eggs, and peanut butter are you're friend. And remember, you're carbs should have a decent amount protein in too.
Could you please tell me what you typically eat 1 day when you land on 300g protein? For example:
Meal 1 - Xg of Y
Meal 2 - Xg of Y

etc.?

Just so I get an idea. Thanks!
Bozowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I'm addicted to puy lentils at the moment. They're pretty high in protein.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I love them there black beans. Can't go wrong with the taste.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote