Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14743)

BendtheBar 08-21-2013 01:21 PM

Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth

http://impruvism.com/clean-eating/

Quote:

The biggest problem with the idea of “clean eating” is that “clean” has no objective definition. Everyone believes different foods are “unclean.”

There’s no way to define clean eating, which means there’s no way to measure or quantify what effect this concept might have on your health. There’s also no way to objectively compare a “clean diet” to other diets.
What say you?

bamazav 08-21-2013 01:32 PM

A good common sense article. Simple point, too much of any good thing, can become a bad thing.

EDIT - the comments are probably more fun to read than the article. But then it is always fun watching people demonstrate idiocy in various forms. Case in point? this post.

MC 08-21-2013 02:00 PM

I would say that there is no single, universally accepted/agreed upon definition of "clean" foods and I agree that without a definition you can't measure it. A researcher could come up with a definition for a study (called an operational definition) but then people would challenge/support the results based on their level of dis/agreement with the defintion and results.

SeventySeven 08-21-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 400290)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 400294)
A good common sense article. Simple point, too much of any good thing, can become a bad thing.

EDIT - the comments are probably more fun to read than the article. But then it is always fun watching people demonstrate idiocy in various forms. Case in point? this post.

I agree with the article, i bet most of the people who posted idiotic shit didnt even read the article just the title and went off the deep end.

5kgLifter 08-21-2013 02:30 PM

Clean Eating is a simple enough concept to grasp if a person has been raised eating veg and home prepared meals, for the most part, in any country; they then have something to go on, whereas someone that has been raised eating fast foods will not comprehend that clean eating just means basic foods, though it doesn't help when people throw idiocy in to the mix and say that means no "white foods", since many foods are white.

It's not the way they intend the term "white foods" to be seen but it is a literal and correct interpretation since "white foods" does not exist in any other context, dictionary or otherwise.

Tannhauser 08-21-2013 03:03 PM

I've come across that article before, and I agree very strongly with about 95% of it. It pretty much sums up my own feelings about most nutrition stuff I read on the internet.

I particularly agree with this:

Quote:

People look at these foods in isolation and assume they’re unhealthy regardless of the context.
Still, I think the idea of clean eating, even if it lacks any real consistent meaning, overall does more good than harm.

Take a 'clean diet' according followers of paleo, for example. Now, I've expressed my views on paleo on MAB before: I've got all sorts of scientific objections to it, and for my money there's absolutely no need to avoid some of the foods that its adherents won't eat. BUT having said all that, a paleo follower is much less likely to be in calorific excess than someone on a regular diet, simply because it's harder to stuff your stomach with high veggies than, say, bread or chocolate. They're going to get a lot of micronutrients and fibre, and there's universal agreement on the benefits of the latter. So for paleo followers (as an example), the concept of clean eating gives them a simple set of rules for eating, which on balance probably does them some good compared to a typical industrialised western diet.

Although a lot of nonsense is written about clean eating, I would sound a note of caution about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

afraziaaaa 08-21-2013 05:20 PM

I say, BACON!

WilldBill88 08-21-2013 05:37 PM

I think it depends on the individual. For a guy like me - on the skinnier side, trying to gain weight and muscle doesn't need a "clean diet". Others may benefit from it..

Soldier 08-21-2013 08:27 PM

Specifically, yes, that's true. But generally people know what's healthy and what isn't, and if more people ate more of what they know they're supposed to eat and less of what they know they aren't supposed to eat, and maybe moved more too, then people would be healthier. Generally speaking.

Dray 08-21-2013 08:41 PM

I choose to eat mostly "clean", "healthy", "natural" stuff and all that.

Yeah, I know there's a mix of opinions out there, and no doubt right here on these forums, as to the relevance or even validity of such a PoV. Even so, that's my perspective, and choice.

I also take note of info that seems legit. So, trans fats are something I tend to avoid for the most part. Saturated fats, however, are fine - I like me some dairy, and coconut oil, etc.

Really, I just like to keep it simple: meat, veges, dairy, some fruit, and a few other things here and there. Right or wrong, there it is.