Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   High Fat Diet on a Bulk (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14098)

SecondsOut 06-19-2013 10:09 AM

High Fat Diet on a Bulk

Recently, I've been eating a lot more fat than carbs. I'm not really doing it on purpose, I've just been wanting high-fat stuff like eggs, nuts, bacon, and whole milk. I'm fine with it, just curious to get your thoughts on high fat diets while on a bulk.
I'm not trying to get this effect, but I've found articles on different sites that say high fat diets -- particularly saturated fat -- affect your hormones. Specifically, some say fat intake boosts your test level (obviously not as high as gear). I can say that I've made a lot of progress in the past on a high fat diet, but I wasn't eating like that to boost test.
So what are your thoughts and experiences with high fat diets? Have you noticed quicker, more noticeable gains while eating high fat compared to eating high carbs?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y6maN1uTR3...255B1%255D.jpg

Off Road 06-19-2013 10:39 AM

I think everybody is different in how they react to certain eating protocols. When I'm serious about my diet, which I am currently NOT, I alternate the different days ala Shelby Starnes. Some days are high protein, moderate fat and low carbs, while others are moderate protein, low fat and high carbs. I use the high carbs to fuel and recover from the biggest workouts but the total calories don't really change day to day.

But right now I'm just eating like a hot mess; high protein, high fat, and high carbs. It's my Anti-Summer ABZ diet :)

moeheep 06-19-2013 10:55 AM

I eat high fat (150-180 grams a day), high protein (240-280 grams a day) and I have good luck with it.

FYI, I lost over 100 lbs and high fat, high protein has kept it off for 13 months....while getting me JACKED at the same time....(just kidding about the jacked part)

OHDL 06-19-2013 12:45 PM

I was thinking of posting this exact thread :P Im on a high fat bulk right now. Grains really dont agree with me and so basically all my cals are from fat and protein. The only carbs i get are from full fat milk, veg, fruit and chocolate occasionally. Im finding i never feel bloated and find it easier to put away the calories on high fat. When i was eating more carbs i often felt sluggish and was guaranteed stomach cramps. Plus high-fat foods are delicious :D

Soldier 06-19-2013 01:19 PM

I've noticed a marked difference in my aggression on a higher fat diet. Every time I've tried low carb dieting I've noticed this difference. I get an alpha male feeling and I'm very confident, actually moreso than I've felt while on.

BendtheBar 06-19-2013 01:26 PM

I sleep better and feel less bloated on high fat. I also tend to binge less.

I am older though, and eat far less than I used to. Age for me plays a big role in this. When you are young you tend to feel great no matter what you eat, as long as it's mostly health.

These days even one Poptart gives me a food hangover.

kitarpyar 06-19-2013 04:47 PM

I have been told that high fat diet result in a slight testosterone level boost. If this is true, it certainly shouldnt hurt the bulk, as long as your energy levels from the low carbs are sufficient to keep lifting heavier (I assumed carbs in your diet are low).

I don't know for sure how far the first statement is correct though. Would be nice if anyone who has a solid grasp on this would care to weigh in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 376688)
These days even one Poptart gives me a food hangover.

I have been feasting on cheesecake and Jambalayas on my travels while drinking beer in a rather aptly named "Church Brew works", which is in fact a brewery inside a building that used to be a huge church once upon a time. Happy days :)

bgben3 06-27-2013 07:32 PM

I know a lot of people that have had some great success with high fat and low carbs diet. Keeping it on the healthier side with nuts, oils, peanut butter, red meat, etc. I for one do not like this diet. I like my carbs, they are more filling.

JBrown 06-27-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 376685)
I've noticed a marked difference in my aggression on a higher fat diet. Every time I've tried low carb dieting I've noticed this difference. I get an alpha male feeling and I'm very confident, actually moreso than I've felt while on.

At 38 I'm pole vaulting out of bed but I have no data to prove it's due to the highly fat concentrated diet:D Maybe I'm just a genetic freak;)

hercules455 06-30-2013 09:27 PM

I've talked to lots of people that do this with success! If you like it and it's working for you then keep it up!