Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Trouble Lossing a spare tire/ love-handles? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14076)

CaseyB1987 06-18-2013 08:03 AM

Trouble Lossing a spare tire/ love-handles?

Hello, I'm Casey

I'm a 25 yrs old white dude and I've always been a heavy set & brawny guy, I should be 6' 2'' but I'm 5' 9'', and I tried some diets in the past but they didn't work mainly because I couldn't stick with them.

So, a few months ago I decided that if i was going to weight 300lbs my whole life, It might as well be muscle! I work with an older guy (50 something) who used to be a fitness trainer at a Knoxville gym back in the late 80's early 90's.

I told him I always loved watching the 'Worlds Strongest Man' competitions and that I wanted to get big & strong, he gave me some good tips on how to get started and I've made some good progress.

I've got bigger and stronger and I dont have any problems putting on the muscle. But my body likes to put on the fat along with the muscle. So, the old guy suggested I start doing some cardio after my workout & doing high volume calisthenics. And that has helped. I cut out the junk food & soft drinks & eat lots of lean chicken and rice.

My upper body actually looks pretty good, my man boobs are almost gone, but I still have this stupid spare tire & big love handles! I do lots of situps, crunches, weighted side bends & hip-flexers 4 sets of 25 on each! And I can feel my abs getting tighter, but my stupid love-handles wont go away! Now I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder but I do want to look good with my shirt off.

So, any advice anyone could give me on diets or workout routines would be great!

Thanks

Off Road 06-18-2013 09:12 AM

It takes time and dedication. It sounds like you've made some good progress, just keep that up and stay on the path. For us guys, the gut is the first place we put on fat and the last place it comes off. Good luck.

Dray 06-18-2013 09:16 AM

Tons of abdominal work like that won't help at all. Fewer calories every day will.

hercules455 06-30-2013 10:01 PM

The only way to lose it to be in a calorie deficit so your body burns it up for energy!

RWB 06-30-2013 10:09 PM

Im in same boat..did some research and Im cutting out as much sugar as possible and doing some cardio first thing in the morning before eating..you'll burn stored fat before the calories just ingested. And plenty of water! Hope this helps.

JBrown 06-30-2013 10:17 PM

People have tendency to gain weight in their own unwanted areas. Chub mounts in my legs first. Wish it would go to arms and shoulders:( But oh well, not many have those good genetics. Make your abs and back bigger overall with squats and deads, that should help. You'll get the sexy "V" look:D

Unless you're already massively built with low body fat % (and still have loveys:)), I'd just build and not worry too much about cutting. Cutting won't help with the look that I think you are after, in the first case.

Hope this helps! Just getting bigger all over has helped with my problem areas.

Mercersburgguy 11-17-2013 10:19 PM

Hey Casey I'm in the same boat however I'm 6'1 but I'm 310. Trying like mad to drop the weight. What type of diet are you doing?