Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default A Good Dirty Bulk For 15 Pounds

Having weighed over 200 lbs before, somewhere in the middle of March(and a month before with little consistency) I decided I was going to get my weight on the scale and bar back up to what it was before losing so much at the end of last summer. In March, I was getting more consistent in the gym, and my eating was too. On the 26th, my fiancee left me. I took a couple of workouts off. The next week I was hellbent on totaling 1200 at a meet in October...so...Now I'm back to about 200 pounds. I went somewhere right below around 185 in the middle of March to now being around 200 pounds. I certainly look bigger, and I am certainly stronger. I've hit a lot of lifetime PR's. Given they aren't significant in the grand scheme of things, but they're definitely nice. No, I'm not putting any pictures up. I look about what a 200 lb 6'3" guy would look like. Maybe a slightly larger back and more lean than some maybe... So what have I been doing?

As I've told my mom: Lots of meat, eggs, milk, and Mountain Dew. A normal day has looked something like this: 6-8 eggs for breakfast, a few sausage patties, and 3 glasses of milk mixed with protein powder. A few times a week for lunch I would usually have an Arby's Max roast beef sandwich or two. If I couldn't afford two, I would order the value meal and get the fries and a Mountain Dew. Each time I ate there, I had at least a liter of Mountain Dew. Dinners were usually a whole frozen pizza or something along those lines. Thrown in between was usually a can or two of another type of pop(usually Dr. Pepper), an extra protein shake or two(same as the morning shake) and any type of meat I could get my hands on. Often I'd eat a couple more eggs in the evening. Also, to chicken, I made sure I added ranch dressing. I never have been a big fan of the stuff, but it's a few extra calories.

So, if you wanna gain a decent bit of weight pretty fast- eat horribly with lots of protein and lifting thrown in. I doubt my gains would have been so solid had I not carried nearly the same amount of muscle in the past. But, I'm stronger and more muscular than I was last summer. However, I think it may be time to slow down on some of the Mountain Dew and highly processed foods- there's always too much of one good thing.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Sounds about the reason why I'm so fat. Good decision on slowing it down

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

a nice dirty bulk
Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Only thing dirty I read was that you drank Dew instead of Mello Yello. That would have made it a clean bulk.

Mello Yello to the rescue!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

I did something similar in the past... no soda though. I just don't like the idea of drinking straight sugar. And I would just buy 5 McDoubles or Crispy Chicken Sandwiches. More calories for the same money.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

There was an interesting discussion on the Iron Radio podcast this week where Phil recommended doing something very similar for moving up a weightclass: eat a tonne of food, whatever it takes to gain 20lbs as quickly as possible, then back off a bit and maintain and solidify that weight. I did this to pretty decent effect myself as well. Good work.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

@Elite, I'm sorry, but that made me laugh.

@Bam, Mountain Dew is the REAL stuff. That's the ONLY way to go.

@Epin, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. Although, I just really do not like McDonald's hamburgers.

@LTL, good to hear.

I'm still trying to add weight, but I'll probably try to be a little more conservative. So far I'm still pretty lean though. I've got a few more pounds to gain without worry.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

That's my issue, dollar menu stuff has tons of calories, just not as much protein or just good taste as I would like. And eating out halfway decent gets expensive.

And no worries man, I laugh at myself.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote