Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Okay, obviously you haven't read that right, it causes a SPIKE in insulin, it reacts exactly like sugar.
where it is writen and didn;t saw it?
i

Quote:
Nothing is ever that simple...non-sugared fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners can raise insulin levels but they have zero-GI.

Quote:
better you do some research of your own, decent research not just the first internet site you happen to come across.

yes
you do that
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
yes
you do that
WOW
i thought this was a forum where i'd forget that "negging someone" actually exists on V-bulletin. but you just earned it. you're behaving like an ignorant jerk.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

I knew this conversation would run around in circles. Oats matter not. The fact is, they are carbs. Carbs, regardless of GI cause an insulin response. It's fucking nature. Proven science. More carbs=higher insulin release. Regardless of GI. Regardless of sugar content. Regardless if its steel cut oats or in a pack. There is a specific time you want to illicit that insulin response. Part of my post was about that. Read anything you'd like. Lyle McDonald has a wealth of information about it in his books. John Keifer. Shelby Starnes, shit, I've been lectured about it at my gym by Clint smith and Brian Carroll. There are plenty of sources for trust worth info. Bodybuilding.com is not one of them.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme

^
have you ever experienced sugar crash symptoms with oats and whey?
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
^
have you ever experienced sugar crash symptoms with oats and whey?
I've never experienced "sugar crash" with whey and 80g of dextrose...so what's your point?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 05-13-2013 at 09:33 AM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
do you even lift?
We do not tolerate attitudes like that here. This isn't a place for juvenile comebacks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

yes
you do that
We do not tolerate disrespect here. Second warning.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

A bit of background for the few who haven't heard me talk about this 800 times before.

In November 2008 I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. My kidneys were getting hammered, my liver was having problems, I wasn't healing quickly from injury, and i was only 24. I weighed over 360 lbs (we aren't really sure how much over, the scale at the doctors office stopped there).

Fast forward 14 months. I weighed in at 213, no longer needed medication for cholesterol, diabetes, acid reflux, blood pressure. I was skinny fat, but happy to be alive. I managed this by dropping my carbohydrate intake to 20g or less a day, not including the fiber I took in. I did extensive research, and not the passing interest sort that people do these days. My life depending on getting this right. I will simplify my knowledge here because a forum isn't the place for a thesis. However, the simplified version will serve most people well, and be all they need for the rest of their lives.

Step 1: Insulin
Insulin is responsible for a great many things, but one of it's primary functions is to move nutrients out of the blood stream and into tissue. It is released in response to carbohydrates and to a lesser extent, protein. Insulin is the most anabolic substance you are likely to encounter. Anabolic steroid hormones alter RNA expression to increase protein synthesis, but in a world without insulin, where are the nutrients going to come from?

Insulin also prevents the break down of tissue, both fat and muscle. Certainly things are more complicated than this, but this is a good rule of thumb. If your insulin levels stay high and you are not resistant to it, you are unlikely to be able to lose fat unless you begin injecting exogenous hormones.

Step 2: Where the nutrients go
Carbohydrates begin to be broken down the moment the enter the mouth. I believe it is amylase that does this. The process stops in the stomach and resumes in the small intestine. More complex carbs are digested by the flora of the large intestine. If I recall correctly, the carbs hit the blood stream and are sent first to the liver, replenishing its glycogen stores, before being sent off to the rest of the body. The liver is one of the only places glycogen is stored that is accessible for general use, muscles tend to hold on to it for their own purposes.

Protein is similar in a way, being dealt with by pepsin. Without this enzyme you could eat a kilo of protein a day and have no benefit. It is also sent off to the liver where a horrifying thing can happen if you eat only protein and no fat or to a lesser extent, carbs. Gluconeogenesis. The liver is a jerk. If the protein/amino acid amounts coming into it are too high too fast, the liver will turn it into sugar. This is where we see the big spikes in blood sugar if you take a massive amount of whey. Whey is digested very quickly, and huge amounts are dumped into the blood stream immediately. The liver isn't impressed and turns your post workout shake into something much less useful. This is why it is a good idea to get fats in with your whey.

Fats are the only macro nutrient that skip the liver, and are instead sent straight into the lymph system. They also slow down digestion in general, which is a good thing. Also note that many vitamins are fat soluble and will not be absorbed into your body without fat, no matter how much you take.

Step 3: Spiking Blood Sguar
From the above, it should be clear that carbs spike blood sugar. Any sort of carb will do it. Faster digesting carbs will spike it faster and higher than slower ones. Oats are carbs and will spike the blood sugar. The body will produce and release insulin to bring the blood glucose back down to normal fasting range. The end.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
A bit of background for the few who haven't heard me talk about this 800 times before.

In November 2008 I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. My kidneys were getting hammered, my liver was having problems, I wasn't healing quickly from injury, and i was only 24. I weighed over 360 lbs (we aren't really sure how much over, the scale at the doctors office stopped there).

Fast forward 14 months. I weighed in at 213, no longer needed medication for cholesterol, diabetes, acid reflux, blood pressure. I was skinny fat, but happy to be alive. I managed this by dropping my carbohydrate intake to 20g or less a day, not including the fiber I took in. I did extensive research, and not the passing interest sort that people do these days. My life depending on getting this right. I will simplify my knowledge here because a forum isn't the place for a thesis. However, the simplified version will serve most people well, and be all they need for the rest of their lives.

Step 1: Insulin
Insulin is responsible for a great many things, but one of it's primary functions is to move nutrients out of the blood stream and into tissue. It is released in response to carbohydrates and to a lesser extent, protein. Insulin is the most anabolic substance you are likely to encounter. Anabolic steroid hormones alter RNA expression to increase protein synthesis, but in a world without insulin, where are the nutrients going to come from?

Insulin also prevents the break down of tissue, both fat and muscle. Certainly things are more complicated than this, but this is a good rule of thumb. If your insulin levels stay high and you are not resistant to it, you are unlikely to be able to lose fat unless you begin injecting exogenous hormones.

Step 2: Where the nutrients go
Carbohydrates begin to be broken down the moment the enter the mouth. I believe it is amylase that does this. The process stops in the stomach and resumes in the small intestine. More complex carbs are digested by the flora of the large intestine. If I recall correctly, the carbs hit the blood stream and are sent first to the liver, replenishing its glycogen stores, before being sent off to the rest of the body. The liver is one of the only places glycogen is stored that is accessible for general use, muscles tend to hold on to it for their own purposes.

Protein is similar in a way, being dealt with by pepsin. Without this enzyme you could eat a kilo of protein a day and have no benefit. It is also sent off to the liver where a horrifying thing can happen if you eat only protein and no fat or to a lesser extent, carbs. Gluconeogenesis. The liver is a jerk. If the protein/amino acid amounts coming into it are too high too fast, the liver will turn it into sugar. This is where we see the big spikes in blood sugar if you take a massive amount of whey. Whey is digested very quickly, and huge amounts are dumped into the blood stream immediately. The liver isn't impressed and turns your post workout shake into something much less useful. This is why it is a good idea to get fats in with your whey.

Fats are the only macro nutrient that skip the liver, and are instead sent straight into the lymph system. They also slow down digestion in general, which is a good thing. Also note that many vitamins are fat soluble and will not be absorbed into your body without fat, no matter how much you take.

Step 3: Spiking Blood Sguar
From the above, it should be clear that carbs spike blood sugar. Any sort of carb will do it. Faster digesting carbs will spike it faster and higher than slower ones. Oats are carbs and will spike the blood sugar. The body will produce and release insulin to bring the blood glucose back down to normal fasting range. The end.
You lost me at November... But I know some of these words... Really, good post Brute.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Craig21
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Craig21 is off to a bad start

I prefer taking shake which is low in fats and rich in substances usually natural ones.Because they are good in terms of benefits and this is what always worked for me.