Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme

oats don't give an insulin spike
they r slow released energy,that's why it's a good snack
it also provides 15gr fibers

at post,i doupt about the need of insulin spike too,whey rises insulin enough by itself
and glycogen is restored
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
they r slow released energy
you're referring to the glycemic index and how oats are a very low glycemic food and sugary foods are very high. the view that glycemic index has any real effect on digestion has apparently been debunked:

Layne Norton also did a video explaining it. the studies that pointed to glycemic index being important required participants to eat nothing but carbs on an empty stomach. so yes, probably if the only substance in your stomach is a sugary food, it will burn fast and store fast. but if you eat sugary foods and your stomach already has other stuff in it, the fact that it's a high glycemic food becomes meaningless. it will be digested slowly because it's affected by the digestion rate of the other foods.

Quote:
at post,i doupt about the need of insulin spike too,whey rises insulin enough by itself
and glycogen is restored
you speak so confidently and with such authority about complex processes that aren't fully understood by a lot of people. you can't blindly trust everything you read on the internet, and i certainly think it's a bad idea to plan your diet around your own personal conception of "insulin spike."
can you answer these questions?
1. how much does whey raise insulin?
2. how much do carbs raise insulin?
3. what is the exact process by which muscle glycogen stores are replenished?
4. exactly how much of a rise in insulin is appropriate for my body post-workout (seeing how everyone's needs are different and you can't generalize)?

if you can't answer these questions about the statement you just made, then it's bro science and it will not be useful to you in any practical way. try to read more critically and be more skeptical about what we actually know for undisputed facts about the human body. the same goes for the things you read about supplements. trust your own honest experience over anything you read on the internet, not the other way around.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 05-11-2013 at 09:26 AM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
justme
Banned
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
you're referring to the glycemic index and how oats are a very low glycemic food and sugary foods are very high. the view that glycemic index has any real effect on digestion has apparently been debunked:

Glycemic Index Setting The Record Straight - YouTube

Layne Norton also did a video explaining it. the studies that pointed to glycemic index being important required participants to eat nothing but carbs on an empty stomach. so yes, probably if the only substance in your stomach is a sugary food, it will burn fast and store fast. but if you eat sugary foods and your stomach already has other stuff in it, the fact that it's a high glycemic food becomes meaningless. it will be digested slowly because it's affected by the digestion rate of the other foods.

you speak so confidently and with such authority about complex processes that aren't fully understood by a lot of people. you can't blindly trust everything you read on the internet, and i certainly think it's a bad idea to plan your diet around your own personal conception of "insulin spike."
can you answer these questions?
1. how much does whey raise insulin?
2. how much do carbs raise insulin?
3. what is the exact process by which muscle glycogen stores are replenished?
4. exactly how much of a rise in insulin is appropriate for my body post-workout (seeing how everyone's needs are different and you can't generalize)?

if you can't answer these questions about the statement you just made, then it's bro science and it will not be useful to you in any practical way. try to read more critically and be more skeptical about what we actually know for undisputed facts about the human body. the same goes for the things you read about supplements. trust your own honest experience over anything you read on the internet, not the other way around.

do you even lift?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i'm assuming this is sarcasm? i can't really tell because we're not on familiar terms.
you can check my training log, videos, and diet logs if you're in any doubt.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
do you even lift?
JM, not everything that appears to be set in stone is as it first appears and SO made very good points.

Even the GI numbers vary according to who has done the study on them; from what I remember reading, several are still even listed incorrectly due to not being administered correctly during the GI study to begin with and have 4 differing values for the one item which is clearly not correct.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
justme
Banned
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
JM, not everything that appears to be set in stone is as it first appears and SO made very good points.

Even the GI numbers vary according to who has done the study on them; from what I remember reading, several are still even listed incorrectly due to not being administered correctly during the GI study to begin with and have 4 differing values for the one item which is clearly not correct.

i can;t see how that's related to my shake

thinkgs r simple,if smth is giving you energy fast and then makes you crash
is high gi
if not it's low
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Quote:
that's because now you're taking my comment out of context.
PhillyDev asked a valid question and then made a valid point about excess carbs getting stored as fat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
100 grams of carbs is gonna spike your insulin weather you like it or not. Your body has to react to the incoming carbs, so, basically insulin is now the train conductor, directing unneeded carbs to fat stores. This is a shake for post workout.
you then argued against his point:

Quote:
they r slow released energy,that's why it's a good snack
it also provides 15gr fibers

and glycogen is restored
and that's where my post came in. you disagreed with PD based on your understanding of "insulin spike" and glycemic index. my comment was showing you how you're misunderstanding how glycemic index works and that you're claiming too much authority on a topic that isn't even fully understood yet (in terms of sports nutrition).
and i suppose this all gets back to your shake in terms of the concern some of us had for the high carb + high calorie + low protein shake recipe you posted.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:

thinkgs r simple,if smth is giving you energy fast and then makes you crash
is high gi
if not it's low
Nothing is ever that simple...non-sugared fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners can raise insulin levels but they have zero-GI.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
justme
Banned
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
that's because now you're taking my comment out of context.
PhillyDev asked a valid question and then made a valid point about excess carbs getting stored as fat:

you then argued against his point:

and that's where my post came in. you disagreed with PD based on your understanding of "insulin spike" and glycemic index. my comment was showing you how you're misunderstanding how glycemic index works and that you're claiming too much authority on a topic that isn't even fully understood yet (in terms of sports nutrition).
and i suppose this all gets back to your shake in terms of the concern some of us had for the high carb + high calorie + low protein shake recipe you posted.

you make it looks too complicated
despite it's not

100gr carbs aint huge amount

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Nothing is ever that simple...non-sugared fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners can raise insulin levels but they have zero-GI.
we re talking about food here

oh wait,just notice that
every food, i think raises the insulin,that's not bad
the insulin spike is bad
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:

we re talking about food here

oh wait,just notice that
every food, i think raises the insulin,that's not bad
the insulin spike is bad
Okay, obviously you haven't read that right, it causes a SPIKE in insulin, it reacts exactly like sugar.

Whatever anybody puts, I doubt it will mean much anyway; better you do some research of your own, decent research not just the first internet site you happen to come across.