Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme
Default vitamin d3

vitamin d is a steroid hormone
it;s delivered in 2 forms
d2 and d3

most studies show that d3 is most bio available to the human
human,unlike animal can't produce it and has to take it from food
which is difficcult
there's also the alternative to create vitamin d3 with exposure to sunlight
from my understandind after reading articles and studies is that in order ur body to absort d3 from the sun you must not wash the skin for 48 hours after the sun exporsion

de is needed for bone healh,among others,it's critical for calcium metabolism

some links :

Vitamin D - In-Depth Scientific Supplement Information | Examine.com

Vitamin D: The ?sunshine? vitamin

(this post is just an intro to vitamin d,more will come)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	figure3.gif
Views:	27
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	8753  

Last edited by justme; 05-03-2013 at 01:50 PM.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
justme
Banned
Brawn

you can measure the d3 levels in your bloodstream with this test

25-hydroxy vitamin D test: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
hobbz
New Brawn
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

hobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
vitamin d is a steroid hormone
it;s delivered in 2 forms
d2 and d3

most studies show that d3 is most bio available to the human
human,unlike animal can't produce it and has to take it from food
which is difficcult
there's also the alternative to create vitamin d3 with exposure to sunlight
from my understandind after reading articles and studies is that in order ur body to absort d3 from the sun you must not wash the skin for 48 hours after the sun exporsion

de is needed for bone healh,among others,it's critical for calcium metabolism

some links :

(this post is just an intro to vitamin d,more will come)
I have never heard that about not washing the skin after exposure to the sun. Guess that I am not really getting much out of it then since I refuse to go that long without a shower. I am a daily shower guy.
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbz View Post
I have never heard that about not washing the skin after exposure to the sun. Guess that I am not really getting much out of it then since I refuse to go that long without a shower. I am a daily shower guy.
Unfortanatly so. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info and useally sites things. He is mr sunshine and vitamin d... but yeah i shower daily too and it's a pain... It works not to soup up everywhere everyday... arm pits, ass, crotch, feet, daily washed with soup...others however you feel. That's one good advice he gives.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
lightning89
New Brawn
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

lightning89 is off to a bad start

Interesting. I have never heard this before either. I have to wash daily just can not get around it with me working out.
lightning89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

when you start thinking about changing how you wash your body, i think you're overestimating the effects and the importance of D3. as long as you eat regularly, eat a somewhat balanced diet, and don't have an eating disorder, you will get plenty of vitamin D3. the idea that maximizing micronutrient intake will have a noticeable effect on your progress in the gym or on your overall health is misguided.

by the way, D3 resembles a steroid hormone but it is not an activated hormone itself. also, it doesn't have any effect on muscle or strength gains. its primary association is with more efficient uptake of calcium. that's part of why dairies infuse milk with vitamin D3: milk already has calcium, so if you add D3, you increase your body's ability to use the calcium in milk.

fitness and strength aren't about bizarre rituals, arcane practices, and secret knowledge. it's about tried-and-true practices, mastering the basics, and, above all, consistency. it's not about anxiety over micronutrients.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 05-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Yep, wash and eat the fish instead

Vitamin D3 is available in the form of fish; I can't recall whether it converts from one D to another or from D3 to D but fish is a good source of vit D3, however it works out.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
justme
Banned
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbz View Post

i suggest u do that test i posted above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
Unfortanatly so. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info and useally sites things. He is mr sunshine and vitamin d... .

intresting stuff
post some articles of him here m8
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info
Just for a bit of balance, many regard him as a major source of misinformation. He's high up on quackwatch.com radar and has been described as an 'uber-quack'. e.g. Joe Mercola: Proof positive that quackery sells – Respectful Insolence

My own view is that in general, if you do the complete opposite of what Mercola advocates, you'll be fine.

Coincidentally, I was just about to post this and I found another post from that blog, in which the author invited people to send in their nominations for Mercola's worst quackery over a fifteen year span/.

Someone volunteered this:

Quote:
I was particularly taken by Mercola’s claim a few years ago that you shouldn’t shower after sunbathing because you will wash the vitamin D-3 off. In humans photochemical conversion of 7-dehydrocholesterol to D-3 takes place several layers deep in the epidermis. In birds and furry animals photochemical conversion of precursors in oily secretions takes place on the surface of the skin and is ingested during grooming, but not in humans. It’s not the worst example of how he gets things wrong, but it is my personal favorite
I don't know anything about D3 synthesis, so I can't comment on the rights or wrongs of it, but it's another take.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

The layer of skin that you wash are layers of dead keratinized cells in the outermost layer of the epidermis. There are no blood vessels in this layer of skin Vitamin d is synthesized primarily in the innermost layers of the epidermis. Common sense will also tell you that it's not likely that a dead cell is going to be able to transport anything that is synthesized into the dermis where there are blood vessels. Quack-foolery.