Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   vitamin d3 (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13559)

justme 05-03-2013 01:28 PM

vitamin d3

1 Attachment(s)
vitamin d is a steroid hormone
it;s delivered in 2 forms
d2 and d3

most studies show that d3 is most bio available to the human
human,unlike animal can't produce it and has to take it from food
which is difficcult
there's also the alternative to create vitamin d3 with exposure to sunlight
from my understandind after reading articles and studies is that in order ur body to absort d3 from the sun you must not wash the skin for 48 hours after the sun exporsion

de is needed for bone healh,among others,it's critical for calcium metabolism

some links :

Vitamin D - In-Depth Scientific Supplement Information | Examine.com

Vitamin D: The ?sunshine? vitamin

(this post is just an intro to vitamin d,more will come)

justme 05-03-2013 01:44 PM

you can measure the d3 levels in your bloodstream with this test

25-hydroxy vitamin D test: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

hobbz 05-04-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme (Post 358620)
vitamin d is a steroid hormone
it;s delivered in 2 forms
d2 and d3

most studies show that d3 is most bio available to the human
human,unlike animal can't produce it and has to take it from food
which is difficcult
there's also the alternative to create vitamin d3 with exposure to sunlight
from my understandind after reading articles and studies is that in order ur body to absort d3 from the sun you must not wash the skin for 48 hours after the sun exporsion

de is needed for bone healh,among others,it's critical for calcium metabolism

some links :

(this post is just an intro to vitamin d,more will come)

I have never heard that about not washing the skin after exposure to the sun. Guess that I am not really getting much out of it then since I refuse to go that long without a shower. I am a daily shower guy.

BravenFenix 05-04-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbz (Post 359077)
I have never heard that about not washing the skin after exposure to the sun. Guess that I am not really getting much out of it then since I refuse to go that long without a shower. I am a daily shower guy.

Unfortanatly so. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info and useally sites things. He is mr sunshine and vitamin d... but yeah i shower daily too and it's a pain... It works not to soup up everywhere everyday... arm pits, ass, crotch, feet, daily washed with soup...others however you feel. That's one good advice he gives.

lightning89 05-06-2013 01:28 PM

Interesting. I have never heard this before either. I have to wash daily just can not get around it with me working out.

SecondsOut 05-06-2013 01:47 PM

when you start thinking about changing how you wash your body, i think you're overestimating the effects and the importance of D3. as long as you eat regularly, eat a somewhat balanced diet, and don't have an eating disorder, you will get plenty of vitamin D3. the idea that maximizing micronutrient intake will have a noticeable effect on your progress in the gym or on your overall health is misguided.

by the way, D3 resembles a steroid hormone but it is not an activated hormone itself. also, it doesn't have any effect on muscle or strength gains. its primary association is with more efficient uptake of calcium. that's part of why dairies infuse milk with vitamin D3: milk already has calcium, so if you add D3, you increase your body's ability to use the calcium in milk.

fitness and strength aren't about bizarre rituals, arcane practices, and secret knowledge. it's about tried-and-true practices, mastering the basics, and, above all, consistency. it's not about anxiety over micronutrients.

5kgLifter 05-06-2013 01:50 PM

Yep, wash and eat the fish instead ;)

Vitamin D3 is available in the form of fish; I can't recall whether it converts from one D to another or from D3 to D but fish is a good source of vit D3, however it works out.

justme 05-06-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbz (Post 359077)

i suggest u do that test i posted above

Quote:

Originally Posted by BravenFenix (Post 359081)
Unfortanatly so. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info and useally sites things. He is mr sunshine and vitamin d... .

intresting stuff
post some articles of him here m8

Tannhauser 05-06-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BravenFenix (Post 359081)
. Dr Mercola (mercola.com) has good info

Just for a bit of balance, many regard him as a major source of misinformation. He's high up on quackwatch.com radar and has been described as an 'uber-quack'. e.g. Joe Mercola: Proof positive that quackery sells – Respectful Insolence

My own view is that in general, if you do the complete opposite of what Mercola advocates, you'll be fine. :)

Coincidentally, I was just about to post this and I found another post from that blog, in which the author invited people to send in their nominations for Mercola's worst quackery over a fifteen year span/.

Someone volunteered this:

Quote:

I was particularly taken by Mercola’s claim a few years ago that you shouldn’t shower after sunbathing because you will wash the vitamin D-3 off. In humans photochemical conversion of 7-dehydrocholesterol to D-3 takes place several layers deep in the epidermis. In birds and furry animals photochemical conversion of precursors in oily secretions takes place on the surface of the skin and is ingested during grooming, but not in humans. It’s not the worst example of how he gets things wrong, but it is my personal favorite
I don't know anything about D3 synthesis, so I can't comment on the rights or wrongs of it, but it's another take.

ehubbard 05-07-2013 01:29 PM

The layer of skin that you wash are layers of dead keratinized cells in the outermost layer of the epidermis. There are no blood vessels in this layer of skin Vitamin d is synthesized primarily in the innermost layers of the epidermis. Common sense will also tell you that it's not likely that a dead cell is going to be able to transport anything that is synthesized into the dermis where there are blood vessels. Quack-foolery.