Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Ditch the whey?

Just finished my last scoop of whey protein powder yesterday.

I don't really have allot of money, so buying a new 40 tub would be a pretty big set back.

Was wondering if I really need it, and if I can ditch it and just have an extra meal post workout instead.

I know there's the whole deal with the anabolic window, that suggests that because whey doesn't have to be digested, it goes straight to your muscles to repair them more efficiently as opposed to food that takes longer.

Sounds like BS to me but I just thought I'd make sure before I make the decision.

Ditch it or buy a new tub?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

First things first, before we tackle nutrition yet again. . .

What have you learn about progression schemes and how to implement them?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Just finished my last scoop of whey protein powder yesterday.

I don't really have allot of money, so buying a new 40 tub would be a pretty big set back.

Was wondering if I really need it, and if I can ditch it and just have an extra meal post workout instead.

I know there's the whole deal with the anabolic window, that suggests that because whey doesn't have to be digested, it goes straight to your muscles to repair them more efficiently as opposed to food that takes longer.

Sounds like BS to me but I just thought I'd make sure before I make the decision.

Ditch it or buy a new tub?
At your current level a pint of milk and some buns or cookies will do you more good than supplements post workout. I often drink a litre of chocomilk instead of supplements post training and It works as good as anything you buy at GNC =)

DITCH!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I don't think there is much substance to the so called anabolic window. I wouldn't worry about that. Hard boiled eggs are a good cheap source of protein.

Swede had a good suggestion about the chocolate milk post w/o as it has all the nutrients you need in the right ratios.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Egg whites and chocolate milk in the blender. I've done it for many years.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
First things first, before we tackle nutrition yet again. . .

What have you learn about progression schemes and how to implement them?
I know now how to implement them, its just doing so thats the problem.
I keep messing it up, and feel like I have been doing so for the fast 2 months when I think about out it.

BtB hasn't got back to me yet, so I'm still waiting to see what he says, but even though I get expert advice all the time I'm not very good at implementing it.
The whole thing just seems so messy and bitty, I don't know where to start.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 05-02-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I know now how to implement them.
So, explain it to me then. . .

I hate the thought of you glossing over something so important as progression schemes and filling your mind with something so trivial as the optimal post-workout nutritional window.

Last edited by Off Road; 05-02-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

You do not need the powder. It is convenient to have if you can afford it but milk, egss, meat, peanut butter, will all work for you. What you need to focus on right now is pick up the weight put down the weight----- pick up the food, eat the food.
As for the anabolic window...... that's the drve thru at this point.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
So, explain it to me then. . .

I hate the thought of you glossing over something so important and filling your mind with something so trivial as the optimal post-workout nutritional window.

Right,well.

I'm going to stick with the same progression scheme of 2.5 kg every time I do the lift, because that seems to have worked well for the past month or 2 I've been training.
I lost track somewhat of where I was in terms of weight on the bar, so I'm going to go through every lift tomorrow, and reestablish where I'm at on each exercise.

What might, and very likely will prove difficult though, is finding the happy medium between a weight thats too light or too heavy.

For example with barbell rows, I could pick a weight that allows me to hit 5 reps, but I'm not going to be able to go right up to my chest, and probably will only be able to go half the way up.

I don't know if thats right, or weather I should revert back to using a lighter weight, where I can get that full range of motion.

Though If I do that I'll feel as though I'm taking a step backward.

You said yourself that if I'm not getting stronger, progressing, and building muscle, then all that food I'm eating is going to have the opposite effect, and make me fat rather than muscle bound, and surely if I'm going back a step and start building my way back up to the weight I was using before, which may take over a month, I'm wasting my opportunities to grow, because I won't be getting stronger.

I don't know weather worse form with heavier weight will get me better results, or weather going backwards somewhat on some of my lifts, so I have perfect form, even if the weights lighter.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 05-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

It seems to me like people are starting to look down on you for asking questions, and that's retarded.

Whey isn't magical. If you can get your protein from other sources then go for it, but if you find a good deal whey is actually one of the cheapest protein sources you can find. Protein is the most expensive of the macronutrients which is why people don't get enough these days. Meat is expensive as hell!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote