Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
It seems to me like people are starting to look down on you for asking questions, and that's retarded.
I just have to stand up for the folks providing help.

I don't think people are looking down on him. I think it's because we keep answering questions and then LG responds a week later asking the same question again. Or questions are asked to try and help and they are glossed over.

Many of the forum members have invested a lot of time on LG. It's more a case right now that they don't feel he isn't respecting the advice being provided, and the time of the folks providing it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Milk dude! Cals and protein! Get your pro from FOOD as much as you can. The sups are more for those who are advanced and need the extra tweak. Lift, eat, sleep, grow!
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Just finished my last scoop of whey protein powder yesterday.

I don't really have allot of money, so buying a new 40 tub would be a pretty big set back.

Was wondering if I really need it, and if I can ditch it and just have an extra meal post workout instead.

I know there's the whole deal with the anabolic window, that suggests that because whey doesn't have to be digested, it goes straight to your muscles to repair them more efficiently as opposed to food that takes longer.

Sounds like BS to me but I just thought I'd make sure before I make the decision.

Ditch it or buy a new tub?
You don't need to worry about the anabolic window, but you should be eating when hungry.

I am thirsty after lifting, and so I am drinking I like to get protein in me. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

Anabolic window aside, whey protein is still convenient to have around. You could eat eggs which are cheaper. It really doesn't matter. Whey is still relatively cheap, like Solider said.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Chicken leg and thigh quarters. Does no one read my articles?

Brotein Bro – Cheap Protein Sources | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Exactly right BtB. We are not putting him down, at least It's not my intention. I'm just trying to get Linden to start prioritizing what is important. When I see that he is stalling after just a couple of months, I have to wonder why he is asking about nutrition again and not asking about how to keep progress going. It is all in the name of trying to be helpful. I read his journal and have invested time and want to see him be successful. I could simply respond by telling him to eat whole foods, but how does that really help him in the long run?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Linden, I will reply in your journal about some ideas that I think will help you get progress going again and how to keep it going for a long time. I've mucked this thread up enough. Sorry I prompted you to post in the open forum. We can get you moving and gaining.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i dont use whey powder i cant afford either, here in the UK it is very expensive like steak is but creatine is very cheap so i supp with creatine.

as for postworkout linden i drink milk with milk powder and 2 x raw eggs and i add chocolate milkshake powder for taste, if you use about 400ml of milk add a scoop of milk powder then add two raw eggs that will give about 40g of protein.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #18
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Right,well.

I'm going to stick with the same progression scheme of 2.5 kg every time I do the lift, because that seems to have worked well for the past month or 2 I've been training. I lost track somewhat of where I was in terms of weight on the bar, so I'm going to go through every lift tomorrow, and reestablish where I'm at on each exercise.

What might, and very likely will prove difficult though, is finding the happy medium between a weight thats too light or too heavy.
For example with barbell rows, I could pick a weight that allows me to hit 5 reps, but I'm not going to be able to go right up to my chest, and probably will only be able to go half the way up.

I don't know if thats right, or weather I should revert back to using a lighter weight, where I can get that full range of motion.
Though If I do that I'll feel as though I'm taking a step backward.

You said yourself that if I'm not getting stronger, progressing, and building muscle, then all that food I'm eating is going to have the opposite effect, and make me fat rather than muscle bound, and surely if I'm going back a step and start building my way back up to the weight I was using before, which may take over a month, I'm wasting my opportunities to grow, because I won't be getting stronger.

I don't know weather worse form with heavier weight will get me better results, or weather going backwards somewhat on some of my lifts, so I have perfect form, even if the weights lighter.
To add my two bits to your original question - think about how guys got big and strong before supplements were this readily available. Supplements can help you when you have built your foundation...Don't stress if you can't afford it. Cottage cheese is another great lean source of protein as well. Also, GNC is pretty expensive - are their not any online companies where you are??

Secondly, you should never really sacrifice form for more weight. As they say, "CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR". Every person here would rather you start with an empty bar and add weight slowly, BUT keeping your form proper. You even said that's what was working for you before, so don't stop.

More reps is also a form of progression, so spend some time under the bar and you will eventually learn what you can do at different rep ranges. For me their really isn't a direct answer to "what do you bench" or "what do you squat"...my question is how many reps should I do first?

And finally, remember that "this is not a sprint - it is a marathon". Keep your own log at home (as I and I'm sure as many of the guys here do). Review it, add/make notes and learn from it.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote