Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your views on nutrtion (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13419)

SeventySeven 04-24-2013 12:34 PM

Your views on nutrtion

Always an interesting topic.
Here are mine
Establish Macros for goals
Find which whole foods work best for you
Don't fear mixing "Dirty" foods inside macros for sanity
If youre drug free cutting, "refeeds" "carb cycling" are essential for maintaining lean mass and not going catabolic.
When bulking having 1 low carb week every 4 weeks or so helps promote more lean gains and allows the body to process carbs more efficently.

This of course may not apply to certain medical conditions.
Learned alot from guys like Layne Norton, Maik Weidenbach and Ron Partlow.

Another thing i have found people just try to amek themselves suffer. Wise words of Ron Partlow "Its not a suffering contest"

BendtheBar 04-24-2013 12:53 PM

Eat until satisfied.

Wait at least an hour before eating again.

Use common sense.

Use balance.

Eat when hungry.

Drink plenty of water.

Minimum 180 grams of protein per day.

Minimum 25-30% fats per day.

Eat whole, nutritiously dense foods 80% of the time.

Know that it is hard to get fat from foods that aren't calorie dense. (Easy to eat 800 calories of gummy worms, hard to eat 800 calories of potatoes...therefore, you can eat more bulk when the foods are calorie dense and still have a hard time getting fat.

If you can't gain weight, take a precise one week look at your calorie intake.

Learn how to cook. 99% of bodybuilding meals suck, and are as bland as licking dirt.

SeventySeven 04-24-2013 01:03 PM

People mentally destroy themselves...i am craving a cookie cant eat cookie because its makes me fat. Rolleyes everytime.

RGRthat 04-24-2013 01:47 PM

This doens't really apply to me anymore because my wife is pregnant so I just eat whatever she is in the mood for. Prior to that I would try to limit processed foods and look at protien. If I make it too complicated I won't stick to it and then it doesn't matter how good of a program it is.

dossas 04-24-2013 02:19 PM

All of the above are definitely good suggestions.

I would say (and have tried to tell family & friends) that everyone should keep a diet log/journal for a month, or even two. Next to setting my macros and calories, this was one of the most important things to me for "learning how to eat".

"Learn how to cook. 99% of bodybuilding meals suck, and are as bland as licking dirt.">>>> Use Franks Red Hot sauce...I out that s**t on everything... problem solved!! :)

IainK 04-24-2013 03:18 PM

I am just happy I am not a BBer.

If I want to get a bit bigger I just eat a bit more. I this doesn't work I'll eat more till it dose:)

I think a lot of diets are just a place to 'hang your hat'. Rather than being much physiologically sounder than the next diet variation.

The true art is getting into good condition whilst holding onto as much muscle mass as poss.

Dray 04-29-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 354656)
Eat until satisfied.

Use common sense.

Use balance.

Eat when hungry.

Drink plenty of water.

Know that it is hard to get fat from foods that aren't calorie dense. (Easy to eat 800 calories of gummy worms, hard to eat 800 calories of potatoes...therefore, you can eat more bulk when the foods are calorie dense and still have a hard time getting fat.

Learn how to cook. 99% of bodybuilding meals suck, and are as bland as licking dirt.

Huh. This looks familiar. :D

Except I don't count calories, no matter what. Just don't want to live that way.

Also, I make sure to get a good amount of fruit and (mainly) vegetables every day. At least some veges of various kinds. And I try to "eat the rainbow", lol. No, seriously - it's one of the only "diet theories" that has made sense to me, because of all the goodies that are genuinely to be found in different coloured vegetables and fruits.

And fat intake isn't something I'm worried about.

The only thing I do count, sometimes, to see if I'm more or less on track, is daily protein intake. Reason being, I *know* that's very important to muscle growth, maintenance, etc.

But otherwise, it's pretty much "au naturel" or however you spell that. :p

And I agree wholeheartedly that food needs to taste good and feel good. Eesh. What is it with people and their crazy ass masochism...

brad1224 04-29-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 354656)
Eat until satisfied.

Use common sense.

Use balance.

Eat when hungry.

Drink plenty of water.

this is basically what i follow. ppl over complicate it way too much

Off Road 04-29-2013 09:49 AM

Good nutrition should be simple enough to be repeatable over and over again.

leefarley 04-29-2013 11:15 AM

mine are, balanced home cooked meals with lots of milk.