Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Omega-3 might not do s*** (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13366)

SecondsOut 04-18-2013 01:57 PM

Omega-3 might not do s***

More Evidence That Omega-3 Supplements Don't Work - Forbes

Once again researchers have failed to find any clinical benefit for omega-3 supplements. In a new meta-analysis and systematic review published in JAMA, Evangelos Rizos and colleagues analyzed 20 randomized controlled trials including 68,680 patients and found no significant effect on any of the endpoints:

all-cause mortality: relative risk (RR) 0.96, CI 0.91 – 1.02
cardiac death: RR 0.91, CI 0.85 – 0.98 (not significant after correction for multiple comparisons)
sudden death: RR 0.87, CI 0.75 – 1.01
MI: RR 0.89, CI 0.76 – 1.04
stroke: RR 1.05, CI 0.93 – 1.18

The authors reported that they found no evidence supporting a beneficial effect related to either lowering triglycerides or reducing sudden death. Regarding triglycerides, they wrote, “the proposed protective role of omega-3 PUFAs by lowering triglyceride levels is not supported by our study, because our findings do not support an advantage of higher (triglyceride-lowering) doses compared with lower doses of omega-3.” And no benefit was found in preventing sudden death, “thus rejecting a distinct antiarrhythmic mediated omega-3 PUFA effect,” though the authors acknowledged that the evidence was “underpowered to detect a small underlying effect.”

Although early studies suggested a benefit for omega-3 supplements, the accumulation of evidence has resulted in a consistent failure to confirm this benefit, according to the authors. Current evidence, they concluded, does “not justify the use of omega-3 as a structured intervention in everyday clinical practice or guidelines supporting dietary omega-3 PUFAadministration.”

fenrisulfr 04-18-2013 02:02 PM

What if you don't take omega 3 to reduce triglycerides or keep from dying?

bruteforce 04-18-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenrisulfr (Post 351572)
What if you don't take omega 3 to reduce triglycerides or keep from dying?

What would you take them for then?

SecondsOut 04-18-2013 02:15 PM

btw, i'm not a person who avoids Omega-3. i sprinkle flax on a lot of stuff i eat. when i get bored or have some free time, i occasionally look up details about the foods i eat. this was news to me when i found it today (although i found a number of articles that said the same thing, probably derived from the same research)

BendtheBar 04-18-2013 02:17 PM

This is a much more detailed look, for anyone interested:

Fish Oil - In-Depth Scientific Supplement Information | Examine.com

Quote:

5. Cardiovascular Health

5.1. Cardiovascular Disease Risk

In secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4:1 omega6:3 or lower is associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality[317] as assessed by a single blind prospective study.[318]

5.2. Lipoproteins and Cholesterol

5.3. Triglycerides

Fish oil appears to be highly reliable in reducing triglycerides over a period of 8-16 weeks, and tends to reduce triglycerides by about 10-20% in persons with high triglycerides supplementing with a moderate dose.

The effect on triglycerides is chronic, as it does not influence TG levels after a test meal.[319]

Fish oil may be inhibited in part by Alpha-Linoleic acid in reference to triglycerides. One study noted a 51% decrease of TGs in a low ALA group compared to 21% in a high TG group.[320] This antagonism does not appear to carry over to incorporation into immune cells though, and may be unique to triglycerides.[321]

5.4. Endothelial Interactions

The mechanistic basis for the improved endothelium-triggered relaxation with n - 3 PUFAs may include the suppression of thromboxane A2 or cyclic endoperoxides, a reduced production of cytokines, the augmented endothelial synthesis of nitric oxide, an improvement of vascular smooth muscle cell sensitivity to nitric oxide, and a reduced expression of endothelial adhesion molecules[322].

fenrisulfr 04-18-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 351577)
What would you take them for then?

Increase anabolic signaling of insulin and amino acids. Eases flow of nutrients into cells.

5kgLifter 04-18-2013 03:51 PM

With supplements, it depends on the source of the Omega-3, and the interesting thing is they are considering the effects of supplements not Omega-3 found in natural food source which may be an important distinction.

Flaxseed oil is being heavily promoted as an alternative to fish oil. The health benefits of fish oil are believed to derive principally from two omega-3 fats, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil contains a third, plant-based omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Other foods (especially walnuts) and oils (canola and soybean, for example) contain ALA. But at about 7 grams per tablespoon, flaxseed oil is by far the richest source.

The main problem with ALA is that to have the good effects attributed to omega-3s, it must be converted into EPA and DHA. As a result, only a small fraction of it has omega-3’s effects . So in terms of omega-3 “power,” a tablespoon of flaxseed oil is worth about 700 milligrams (mg) of EPA and DHA. That’s still more than the 300 mg of EPA and DHA in many 1-gram fish oil capsules, but far less than what the 7 grams listed on the label might imply.

Why not flaxseed oil?

SCStrong 04-18-2013 05:09 PM

But, I LOVE the fishy burps :(