Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
susieQ
Brawn
Points: 1,264, Level: 19 Points: 1,264, Level: 19 Points: 1,264, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

susieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributor
Default Cast iron

I was just at the local amish store and they had a cast iron skillet for $5 so I snatched it up. What are some things that I should know about cast iron? I heard you should not soak it with soapy water. I assume that this is true. What else can you tell me or what recipes can you offer me to test out in this?
susieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You have to cure the cast iron if it didn't com cured already. You have to coat it in vegetable oil and bake it in the oven.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Heat an oven to 350.
Heat up skillet on burner
Insert a thick steak on skillet
Brown both sides for a few minutes
Insert in oven until desired doneness is achieved.

Thats how I cook steaks in the winter when I cant grill.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Love cast iron! Yeah cure it anyway even if you got it used. Use paper towel to rub oil all over inside, just enough to make it wet with oil, then bake it about 20 min at about 375. Might smoke a little, so run the fan. The more oil you use, the more smoke, so less is better, but it does have to be coated.

NEVER use soap to clean it and in fact use a separate sponge that you never use with soap so the sponge doesn't have any soap in it either. Soap will ruin your pan!! So definitely be careful to keep soap away from it.

Cast iron actually cleans very easy if you cure it first, and always store it with a light film of oil on it. I use Pam olive oil spray, but you could use any oil, just needs a very light film on it.

I make anything in it. Anything you would fry, you can make in the cast iron pan. It's best when you preheat the pan so it is hot when you put stuff in it.

A great way to make steak is to preheat the pan and the oven to 350, chop some fat off the steak and drop it in the pan to melt and spread it around, then sear steak on both sides 3 min or so. Stick pan in oven to finish for 5 min or so if you like it medium.

Edit: Austin beat me to it!! DOH!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
quigs
Brawn
Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

quigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good postsquigs has made some good posts

I love cornbread in a cast iron skillet. I have never personally made it myself but a friend made it camping, and the corn bread was so good. Had a great flavor and on the top he made a crunchy topping with brown sugar. Most delicious cornbread I have ever had.
quigs is offline   Reply With Quote