Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vanadyl? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13276)

stayaggro 04-10-2013 06:37 PM

Vanadyl?

I bought a bottle of Dymatize Vanadyl Complex at a discount store for $2 ... I had never heard of it, but thought for two bucks I couldn't go wrong. Researched it a bit. It's supposed to increase insulin sensitivity before your Post Workout (or any other) meal. A couple questions: Anybody tried it and can vouch for it being legit? Also, say I'm doing CarbNite, and in a week or so, I'm doing my first carb-up. Would it be advised to take a couple of these before my post workout carb-fest?

Thanks, as this is all new to me, I just couldn't pass up something potentially awesome for a couple bucks.
-Tyler

IronWill 04-10-2013 07:02 PM

Boy! That's from way back when. Haven't heard that stuff mentioned in years!

stayaggro 04-10-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWill (Post 348442)
Boy! That's from way back when. Haven't heard that stuff mentioned in years!

Yeah, been reading a bit more into it since I posted this ... apparently it's pretty harmful when used for a prolonged period. I dunno, I'll keep it handy and keep up the research.

BendtheBar 04-10-2013 09:07 PM

I remember it being all the rage years back. I have not tried it myself. I did find this:

Effects of vanadyl sulfate on carbohydrate and li... [Metabolism. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:

The safety and efficacy of vanadyl sulfate (VS) was tested in a single-blind, placebo-controlled study. Eight patients (four men and four women) with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) received VS (50 mg twice daily orally) for 4 weeks. Six of these patients (four men and two women) continued in the study and were given a placebo for an additional 4 weeks. Euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamps were performed before and after the VS and placebo phases. VS was associated with gastrointestinal side effects in six of eight patients during the first week, but was well tolerated after that. VS administration was associated with a 20% decrease in fasting glucose concentration (from 9.3 +/- 1.8 to 7.4 +/- 1.4 mmol/L, P < .05) and a decrease in hepatic glucose output (HGO) during hyperinsulinemia (from 5.0 +/- 1.0 pre-VS to 3.1 +/- 0.9 micromol/kg x min post-VS, P < .02). The improvement in fasting plasma glucose and HGO that occurred during VS treatment was maintained during the placebo phase. VS had no significant effects on rates of total-body glucose uptake, glycogen synthesis, glycolysis, carbohydrate (CHO) oxidation, or lipolysis during euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamps. We conclude that VS at the dose used was well tolerated and resulted in modest reductions of fasting plasma glucose and hepatic insulin resistance. However, the safety of larger doses and use of vanadium salts for longer periods remains uncertain.

stayaggro 04-10-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 348493)
I remember it being all the rage years back. I have not tried it myself. I did find this:

Thanks! Yeah, I dunno if I even wanna mess around with it for a minor decrease in insulin resistance, but still might, cause I'm a wild card, and what the hell, I own some now. I assume, however, my insulin sensitivity would be through the roof after 10-14 days of no/extremely low carb intake.