Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carb-cycling/Intermitten Fasting combo (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13150)

RGRthat 03-31-2013 08:34 AM

Carb-cycling/Intermitten Fasting combo

Due to my schedule with work and school I have decided to play with my body comp. through mean of driving my digestive system insane...
I am wanting to combine carb cycling, intermitten fasting, and alternating high and low cal days. This sounds a bit extreme to me but I have always thrived on going balls to the wall with everything I enjoy.

My basic info:
Goals Primary:strength Secondary:cardio Other: body comp
maintance cal/day:2200
wt. 215 lbs goal wt. 205 w/ lower body fat
supplements: Muscle Marinade, yohimbine*(sp?), gensing

THE PLAN
Heavy lifting days 2-3/week
4000 cal/day
high carb, high protien
eat all day

Cardio lifting days (Strongman events and cardio) 1/week
3000 cal/day
high protien, med fat, low carb
break fast @ 1200

Rest days
2200 cal/day
high protien, med fat, no carb
break fast @ 1400

Any input is welcome and appreciated. Just wondering how much this will affect my gains in strength and if it will be enough to cut off some stomach fat.

Soldier 03-31-2013 08:45 AM

I've had lots of experience with this type of dieting, and I like it. I found it very easy to simply not eat while I was at work, then break my fasts when I got off. I can't fall asleep hungry, and IF kept me from having to do that. I also got to focus my eating around my training, so if there's anything at all to peri-workout nutrition I was able to take advantage.

I know that BTB experimented with IF and had good results, but he monitored his results more closely than I and found that he lost muscle mass UNLESS he took in protein during his fasts.

Also, I'd highly recomend copious amounts of BCAA's taken in throughout your fast. BCAA's are great for keeping muscle while on a calorie deficit.

I had planned to do something very similiar to this during my current cycle, but I underestimated the hunger that would come with my current "supplementation". I'll have to hold off on cutting intil I'm off, but theoretically it doesn't get much better than a combination of IF and carb/calorie cycling.

RGRthat 03-31-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 344327)
I've had lots of experience with this type of dieting, and I like it. I found it very easy to simply not eat while I was at work, then break my fasts when I got off. I can't fall asleep hungry, and IF kept me from having to do that. I also got to focus my eating around my training, so if there's anything at all to peri-workout nutrition I was able to take advantage.

I know that BTB experimented with IF and had good results, but he monitored his results more closely than I and found that he lost muscle mass UNLESS he took in protein during his fasts.

Also, I'd highly recomend copious amounts of BCAA's taken in throughout your fast. BCAA's are great for keeping muscle while on a calorie deficit.

I had planned to do something very similiar to this during my current cycle, but I underestimated the hunger that would come with my current "supplementation". I'll have to hold off on cutting intil I'm off, but theoretically it doesn't get much better than a combination of IF and carb/calorie cycling.

Thanks I will pick some of those up today but do you have any idea how much protien per day and when? I'm maxing tomorrow and will remax roughly 6 weeks later for my primary look at if it is working. I will also do a body comp diagnostic (or whatever it is called) on the same days. I will keep this thread updated with the result for whom ever cares.

Soldier 03-31-2013 09:07 AM

I think we'd all be interested in your results!

If I were you I'd do 2 protein shakes, each with around 25g of protein, one at waking and the other between then and your breakfast. 50g of whey protein will be around 250 calories, so it won't take too much of a chunk out of what you can eat later on, and protein will keep you feeling fuller which can be quite helpful.

Not that you HAVE to use whey. People seem to forget that chicken or lean beef are basically pure protein. 8g of chicken breast is 260 calories, 7g of fat and 50g of protein. You could bake up a bunch of chicken and you'd be good for days.

RGRthat 03-31-2013 09:14 AM

I may move it to an 8 week experiment and do the first 4 w/ protien and the second 4 w/o just for shits and giggles. I will make sure to remax and body comp then as well

fenrisulfr 03-31-2013 09:28 AM

Did it for many months. Did not gain muscle like I would have liked. Switching to carb back loading. IF is easy to do, fun to be on. Low carb days leaned me out.

RGRthat 03-31-2013 02:17 PM

My big question is with the mix am I going to be hitting my body too hard on the low carb IF days

fenrisulfr 03-31-2013 02:34 PM

Supposed to low carb only on rest days.

TitanCT 04-02-2013 07:56 AM

id eat a coworker before id fast. i like my muscle where it is and i prefer growing more of it as opposed to risking losing it.

Soldier 04-02-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 344496)
My big question is with the mix am I going to be hitting my body too hard on the low carb IF days

If you do take in protein throughout the day then it shouldn't be a problem.