Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Eating late at night. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13079)

LindenGarcia18 03-26-2013 06:40 PM

Eating late at night.

I've started adding an extra meal everyday now since my appetite went up.
It tends to be around the same time I get hungry though, 9:30-10:00.
I go to bed around half 10 or 11 o'clock.

I heard it was bad to eat late at night. That the food sits in your stomach while your sleeping because your digestion is slower.

I had a look online about this but theres mixed reviews.

What do you think, does it make much difference? Is it even worth bothering about?

Just this extra meal as I've said is quite late on.

PhillyDev 03-26-2013 06:44 PM

It really depends. Bulking? Are there carbs involved? How large is this meal?

northernbulk 03-26-2013 06:45 PM

Try a casein shake b4 bed

Soldier 03-26-2013 06:46 PM

It's true that there are slight differences in how your body works at night, while you sleep. But realisticly? Nope, no real difference for you.

Some may say to avoid carbs close to sleep because insulin can hinder growth hormone which is released more while you sleep, but there's no need to nitpick like that. The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because if you keep asking someone is bound to mention it, so I'm heading them off by telling you that it doesn't matter, lol.

Soldier 03-26-2013 06:50 PM

A lot of people suggest casein protein before bed, and it's true that casein is much slower digesting in comparison to whey protein, but casein is expensive as hell, and a real food protein source will be better than any milk byproduct anyways.

No offense Northernbulk! I've used casein before and still use whey from time to time, but our friend linden needs to pack as much real food into his diet as possible (In my oh so humble opinion, of course).

schneppy07 03-26-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 342732)
A lot of people suggest casein protein before bed, and it's true that casein is much slower digesting in comparison to whey protein, but casein is expensive as hell, and a real food protein source will be better than any milk byproduct anyways.

No offense Northernbulk! I've used casein before and still use whey from time to time, but our friend linden needs to pack as much real food into his diet as possible (In my oh so humble opinion, of course).

Agree Casein is exspensive as hell. Me personally Ill eat a meal before bed and if I wake up hungry I will eat again. But thats just me!

MikeM 03-26-2013 10:34 PM

If you are hungry, you should eat. DO not question that feeling, just eat. DOn't eat sloppy crappy stuff, but definitely eat. As long as you don't get acid reflux or whatever at night, no big deal. But, keep track of your food.

What you may discover is that this pre-bed hunger is temporary as you adjust to the new work load, or maybe you just start to eat more post workout and it goes away that way, or maybe you start waking up in the middle of the night even more hungry, who knows? See what happens. But whenever you are hungry, eat good whole foods, even in the middle of the night. :)

Over time, if you notice too much fat, cut down carbs and salt. If not, just watch your muscles grow with all the new food they get to use now that you're eating above maintenance. haha.

I personally don't buy into this digestion slows down at night stuff, btw. I think we digest BETTER at night because it's human nature to want to lay down and sleep after a good meal late in the day. I can't believe we evolved that way over millions of years if it weren't in our best interests!

At night is when all your hormones are racing around getting all their work done and I seriously doubt food in your tummy is any concern to them at all.

No studies to back that up. Just my personal opinion.

leefarley 03-27-2013 04:27 AM

i always eat late at night and i have protein shake before bed.

linden get on the whole milk.

big_swede 03-27-2013 07:29 AM

I think a dozen pancaces and a pint of milk before bed will do you good Linden!

LindenGarcia18 03-27-2013 09:20 AM

Thanks for the answers.

I ended up having beans on toast around that time, but maybe I could incorporate that into my post workout meal.

You see I'm only having a whey protein shake Post workout at the moment. Its expensive, so when it runs out I'll probably stop buying it, and just have that extra meal instead.
That way, it would be right after my workout too and not straight before bed.