Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Squats 'n milk after all, eh? :)

Milk boosts muscles after a workout › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)

He listed some sources in a comment there:

The Transcriptional Coactivator PGC-1ß Drives the Formation of Oxidative Type IIX Fibers in Skeletal Muscle, by Zoltan Arany et al, Cell Metabolism, January 2007, Vol 5, pages 35-46.

Consumption Of Fluid Skim Milk Promotes Greater Muscle Protein Accretion After Resistance Exercise Than Does Consumption Of An Isonitrogenous And Isoenergetic Soy-Protein Beverage, by Sarah B Wilkinson et al, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, April 2007, Vol 85, pages 1031-1040.

Body Composition and Strength Changes in Women with Milk and Resistance Exercise, by Andrea R. Josse et al, Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise, June 2010, pages 1122-1130.

Ageing Well Through Exercise, by Tara Parker-Pope, The New York Times, November 9, 2011
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Damn right it does. It's hilarious to me when people have a "post workout" shake with whey and dextrose. What the hell do they think milk is? Whey protein, casein protein, and lactose which is sugar. It's all right there, already mixed and delicious.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I've generally just mixed some whey protein into whole milk as a "post workout", which is probably okay too, but I never really knew for sure how much truth there was in that "Drink Milk!" attitude that used to be so popular. I know that a lot of people these days (online anyway) seem to sneer at "squats 'n milk", for example.

Also been drinking milk like never before, any old time, which as it turns out, isn't so dumb after all!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I seemed to gravitate to milk post-workout. I didn't do so for any particular reason other than I just liked milk after lifting.

Being a poor boy I sometimes had to add in a scoop of powdered milk to get the protein levels up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Being a poor boy I sometimes had to add in a scoop of powdered milk to get the protein levels up.
Me too. Last week we ran out of milk at home, that'll happen with two boys in the house. I mixed my protein powder with water and powdered milk. It was even better than regular milk, it added a malt quality to the drink. Yummy.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Milk is an easy way for me to get some calories in. Add in some whey to boot!!
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

This also goes to show the absolute scientific nonsense in this industry. One study says milk is bad, while another study says milk is good. One says to do one set per exercise, while another says multiple sets. Protein, both good and bad? How about over training, fact or myth? No wonder skinny 16 year old kids are so confused.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Not only is milk protein and sugar, but it's liquid calories. GOMAD if you're trying to gain and see what happens.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I drink about 3/4 gallon everyday.....hot days, closer to 1 gallon.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i drink whole milk every day i go through a gallon every other day somtimes more.

i mix it with milk powder and whey.

i also consider it the perfect PWO shake, i always drink it before and after weights.