Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dessert alternatives (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12879)

sandraW 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

Dessert alternatives

Lately I have just had a huge sweet tooth. I would like some suggestions on dessert alternatives. I love pies, and cookies as well. And I can never turn ice cream down. Anything that you have tried that is healthier than these and still satisfies, I am interested in.

Dray 03-15-2013 08:25 AM

I don't know what dietary restrictions (or other protocols) you have in place, and I'm no nutritionist either... but if it's a case of not wanting to eat much (any?) sugar, say, then there are plenty of recipes out there, that feature low-cal (or no-cal) alternatives, whether natural or artificial. And if it's a case of avoiding fats, I'd suggest not doing so, but then that's me, lol. On the other hand, it's pretty easy - there are low fat alternatives to almost every edible thing these days. Some of them actually taste okay too!

My guess is the former. In which case, maybe look at Stevia (the Reb-A kind, I think?) or sucralose, representing one decent option on either side of the fence. Oh, and you can use other things than flour... in place of flour.

A bit more info might help though. :)

edit: Hey, just a random recipe from my bookmarks, but if you like protein, and mint, and want to try a proteiny minty gelato... here's one. :D Is that even slightly close?

bruteforce 03-15-2013 09:59 AM

My biggest advice would be not to do low fat. Low fat will leave you craving more. Try some berries and a small amount of freshly made whipped cream. Healthy, not super high calorie, and tastes great

lazette 03-15-2013 01:35 PM

Yogurt is a great snack, and they have some pretty tasty options out right now. Lemon cream pie, strawberry cheesecake, banana cream pie, you name it they have it out. Try this.

5kgLifter 03-15-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandraW (Post 336443)
Lately I have just had a huge sweet tooth. I would like some suggestions on dessert alternatives. I love pies, and cookies as well. And I can never turn ice cream down. Anything that you have tried that is healthier than these and still satisfies, I am interested in.

Ice cream is the easiest of the lot to replace with a "healthy" alternative (I say healthy because what's not healthy about creamed milky goodness?? :D)

Ice cream: break up a banana (or 2-3), freeze, take out of freezer and blend...done! Add anything you want to it to jazz it up a bit, nuts, high cocoa choc, etc :chow:

northernbulk 03-15-2013 03:17 PM

Sweet potatoes

jdmalm123 03-15-2013 09:18 PM

moderation over abstinence!!!

5kgLifter 03-16-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 (Post 337156)
moderation over abstinence!!!

:rockon: barring intolerances and allergies, even though intolerances can also be worked in moderation :chow:

glift 03-16-2013 07:45 PM

Frozen grapes are good. Or my favorite cake is angel food with cool whip.

Dray 03-17-2013 04:32 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the pro-moderation posts, by the way. :chow:

That's one of the great things about getting your diet under control, whether you literally count calories (or try to) or not. The ability to be what looks like reckless or even gluttonous at times, but not suffer for it in any way whatsoever.

A mixed approach can work well too: "healthy" alternatives most of the time, then some of the "bad" food on a semi-regular basis, for "cheat days", say, or just very occasionally. Or whatever suits the person in question.