Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Creatine for da chix?

This girl I know... asked me about creatine for women, because I mentioned the fact I was considering buying some (for my own consumption). And I realised then and there, that if there's anything specific to women, with regards to creatine effects or whatever, I have absolutely no idea what that might be!

So I said I'd ask. And here I am, asking. Would it have any/much effect - at the correct dosage - in terms of strength, recovery, aesthetics, health, or anything else, for a small-ish novice female lifter in her 30s?

Thanks in advance. Also, any tips or warnings (or whatever) for a guy approaching 40 years old, again a novice lifter (that's me!) would be most appreciated.

Pure Creatine Monohydrate is the supp in question, in case that's relevant.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

first question , have you read up on creatine and what it does?

i ask because i suspect you havent , if you did , you probably wouldnt be asking the question.

loads and loads of info out there.
google is your friend.

so too are these links

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 1

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 2

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 3

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Sure, I had done a little (i.e., not very much) research for my own purposes - because there's just no way I'm taking any supplements without knowing at least some details that likely apply to me - but as I have no background in science of any kind (beyond high school anyway), I thought I'd ask here. The other reasons for asking here are like so:

* Male and female lifters are the same in many ways, yes, but quite different in a number of other ways, some of which I might not be aware of, as of now.
* There's a lot of knowledgeable and experienced lifters on here (and I'm not one of them), many of whom no doubt have consumed some creatine in their time.
* There's a lot of bullshit out there on the interwebs, and again, I don't have knowledge or experience to rely on.
* It takes a lot less time to ask, just in case someone with the relevant knowledge might answer, than it probably would for me to TRY to sift through however many bits of info, that will most likely contradict one another, etc., etc.

Well, you get the idea. But thanks for the link anyhow.

Last edited by Dray; 03-14-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

hi dray

i don't know the different effects it has on male or females. But what i do know is that works very well for me it gives me a much stronger workout and better energy in my workouts and i fined 5g a day is plenty for me, the only down side effect for me is a big thirst, but that is when i was takening 10g a day which is to much for me.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
hi dray

i don't know the different effects it has on male or females. But what i do know is that works very well for me it gives me a much stronger workout and better energy in my workouts and i fined 5g a day is plenty for me, the only down side effect for me is a big thirst, but that is when i was takening 10g a day which is to much for me.
Good to know. Cheers!

5g is what I was seeing a lot of, and I'd be content with that if it works. But that "dangerously hardcore" guy is saying... maybe 25g a day for me, from what I can tell? Bit of a difference, suffice to say!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Good to know. Cheers!

5g is what I was seeing a lot of, and I'd be content with that if it works. But that "dangerously hardcore" guy is saying... maybe 25g a day for me, from what I can tell? Bit of a difference, suffice to say!
you dont need 25g a day mate, 5g a day will be plenty.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
bgben3
New Brawn
Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good posts

I help out a lot of women in the gym and that is a pretty common question from them. The women I help are women that are competing in figure, fitness, or bikini competitions. For these women, I let them know that creatine is ok for them. For the other women its ok also, but may be a waste of money depending on the workout. I personally believe that creatine is for the person that is ready to take weight training to the next level. Its a lean muscle builder and realistically most women in the gym aren't workout out to build muscle so much but to stay fit and tone. I don't think creatine is needed for this. Even with the women that are trying to take the weight training to the next level, I don't recommend them take a mono, its known for making you hold water and most women already have a problem holding water. If they are to take a creatine I always recommend creatine that claims little to know water retention. For me its Kre Alkalyn. Good luck
NGA Natural Pro Body Builder
bgben3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Dray
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgben3 View Post
I help out a lot of women in the gym and that is a pretty common question from them. The women I help are women that are competing in figure, fitness, or bikini competitions. For these women, I let them know that creatine is ok for them. For the other women its ok also, but may be a waste of money depending on the workout. I personally believe that creatine is for the person that is ready to take weight training to the next level. Its a lean muscle builder and realistically most women in the gym aren't workout out to build muscle so much but to stay fit and tone. I don't think creatine is needed for this. Even with the women that are trying to take the weight training to the next level, I don't recommend them take a mono, its known for making you hold water and most women already have a problem holding water. If they are to take a creatine I always recommend creatine that claims little to know water retention. For me its Kre Alkalyn. Good luck
Brilliant, thanks.

I don't believe the woman in question wants to go to that next level really, so you were very much on the mark there. I'll pass on the details I think will be relevant, and I imagine creatine won't be on her menu any time soon.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
first question , have you read up on creatine and what it does?

i ask because i suspect you havent , if you did , you probably wouldnt be asking the question.

loads and loads of info out there.
google is your friend.

so too are these links

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 1

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 2

The Ultimate Guide To Creatine Supplementation Part 3
wow, i just skated in to see what the creatine question was, and i find these awesome links. thanks for posting; those are very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
you dont need 25g a day mate, 5g a day will be plenty.
the above links explain the reasoning behind the 25g.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote