Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
But, but what of all the studies? Sheeple, listening to sheeple.
I dislike the term sheeple. It carries with it an arrogance, and the implication that people who hold a certain belief at a given point in time are eager to swallow anything. I don't believe this to be true.

There are many things I simply don't have time to personally research. I'm not a sheeple because of this, I'm a human being with a limited amount of time. There are many things in life where I am forced to rely on the educated opinions of others.

I have opinions about a lot of things in life, but I also know many of these opinions will change over time as I gather more information. This grounds me, and prevents me from dry-humping my dogmatism on a daily basis.

I try to help people the best I can on a daily basis, using what I currently know. I do this only when asked for assistance, and with the best of intentions. I try to avoid putting other people down, or propping myself up.

We are all in process. I have no desire to be better than anyone else. my desire is to enjoy my life, and help others enjoy their time as a mouth-breather.

I also don't believe I can convert others, nor do I have the desire to do so. If someone is in denial, and asks me for help, and they are the root cause of the problem, I will tell them my honest opinion. I am not trying to insult them, but rather give them the truth. There is a difference of intention here.

Arrogance is arrogance, and truth is truth. If someone asks me for an opinion, I don't use it as an opportunity to prop myself up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-09-2013 at 05:12 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I dislike the term sheeple. It carries with it an arrogance, and the implication that people who hold a certain belief at a given point in time are eager to swallow anything. I don't believe this to be true.

There are many things I simply don't have time to personally research. I'm not a sheeple because of this, I'm a human being with a limited amount of time. There are many things in life where I am forced to rely on the educated opinions of others.

I have opinions about a lot of things in life, but I also know many of these opinions will change over time as I gather more information. This grounds me, and prevents me from dry-humping my dogmatism on a daily basis.

I try to help people the best I can on a daily basis, using what I currently know. I do this only when asked for assistance, and with the best of intentions. I try to avoid putting other people down, or propping myself up.

We are all in process. I have no desire to be better than anyone else. my desire is to enjoy my life, and help others enjoy their time as a mouth-breather.

I also don't believe I can convert others, nor do I have the desire to do so. If someone is in denial, and asks me for help, and they are the root cause of the problem, I will tell them my honest opinion. I am not trying to insult them, but rather give them the truth. There is a difference of intention here.

Arrogance is arrogance, and truth is truth. If someone asks me for an opinion, I don't use it as an opportunity to prop myself up.

No one asked me and I was not trying to help anyone. My comments where not directed at any one person. I was simply commenting on the horde mentality that I see in this world every day.

I refuse to go along to get along.

Seems to me that you just need to be the right person to us the term sheeple around here. Muscle and Brawn Forums - Search Results

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
Then when I told him how much water I drink -- which is really a ridiculous amount -- he said "dude, too much water is bad for you."

This guy is 5'6" - 5'7" and looks like a bag of bones.
It is possible to drink too much water, so if you drink 'ridiculous' amounts, he may have a point. The body has complex mechanisms for osmoregulation, but it is possible to overwhelm them by deliberately overconsuming water. More to the point, why would you bother? Unless you're thirsty all the time - which might indicate a health problem - there's just no point in drinking large amounts of water.

How is your friend's height and weight relevant to his claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Too much of anything is, by definition, too much! So what does that statement actually offer in a conversation? Absolutely nothing!
True, but I do think there is a tendency for the fitness community to think that this doesn't apply to water. There are an awful lot of people who are still stuck in this 'a lot of water will help flush out toxins' idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I dislike the term sheeple.
Me too.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
True, but I do think there is a tendency for the fitness community to think that this doesn't apply to water.
I was making more of a general comment on the over-used term "too much", to make a point in a debate.

It's had far too much use.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
But, but what of all the studies?
You know I love you, but this drives me nuts.

Look - 'studies' are just a way of trying to find the truth in a careful, controlled way. For all their faults, 'studies' are an attempt to analyse a hugely complex problem in a way that no other system of enquiry can hope to tackle.

You're fond of criticising studies because current guidelines on nutrition don't fit with your personal experience. But you seem to ignore the facts that:

Diabetes was discovered by studies
Insulin was discovered by studies
Genetic contributors to heart disease and diabetes were discovered by studies
LDL and HDL were isolated by use of studies
Bloodwork was developed through studies.
Vitamins were discovered by studies

There really isn't any sort of medical, biological or nutritional knowledge worth a damn that hasn't been arrived at without properly conducted scientifc studies. What else is there? Folk medicine? Mashing up mandrake roots and plaintains and hoping for the best? Asking the healthiest looking person on the street what they eat?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Tannhauser (a Limey - so called from the use of limes and other citrus fruit introduced by the British Navy to prevent scurvy. A cure resulting from the early scientific studies of scottish surgeon James Lind.)

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I was making more of a general comment on the over-used term "too much", to make a point in a debate.

It's had far too much use.

I see what you did there.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

To me some think that they know way more than others. Or that they are embarrassed by how they stack up to you so when you say you do this or that, they have to come back with a comment to make you look or feel bad so it boosts them up a bit since they do not do it. That is how I took the thread.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
bgben3
New Brawn
Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28

bgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good posts

I hear similar things every once in a while. I think its just normal for people to try and point out something bad that you are doing or make what you are doing sound bad, so it can justify why they don't change there lives. He looks at you and gives you a compliment and knows that he would prefer to look like you but instead of actually working hard to look that way they through out a negative in the same sentence to justify why they aren't doing it themselves.
NGA Natural Pro Body Builder
bgben3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
You know I love you, but this drives me nuts.

Look - 'studies' are just a way of trying to find the truth in a careful, controlled way. For all their faults, 'studies' are an attempt to analyse a hugely complex problem in a way that no other system of enquiry can hope to tackle.

You're fond of criticising studies because current guidelines on nutrition don't fit with your personal experience. But you seem to ignore the facts that:

Diabetes was discovered by studies
Insulin was discovered by studies
Genetic contributors to heart disease and diabetes were discovered by studies
LDL and HDL were isolated by use of studies
Bloodwork was developed through studies.
Vitamins were discovered by studies

There really isn't any sort of medical, biological or nutritional knowledge worth a damn that hasn't been arrived at without properly conducted scientifc studies. What else is there? Folk medicine? Mashing up mandrake roots and plaintains and hoping for the best? Asking the healthiest looking person on the street what they eat?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Tannhauser (a Limey - so called from the use of limes and other citrus fruit introduced by the British Navy to prevent scurvy. A cure resulting from the early scientific studies of scottish surgeon James Lind.)
actually, in my opinion, studies that relate directly to the lifting and supplemental world are usually funded by someone with an agenda. as the saying goes, you usually find what you are looking for. this is the reason why there are so many studies that counter each other. not much is done in the name of finding the truth anymore, theres usually an agenda.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
schrebra
New Brawn
Points: 243, Level: 4 Points: 243, Level: 4 Points: 243, Level: 4
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Creatine
schrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good postsschrebra has made some good posts

Yeah, he's one of those guys. To afraid to do anything to get results that matter! Let me tell you my diet. Wake up have me some creatine and a protein shake. Dinner I have 2-3 McChickens with a side salad. Come home have a late dinner, and a shake once more. I've been doing this for almost 3 months now. I know its not the healthiest, but the food is cheap. If I had more money I'd eat healthier. But the results don't lie. lol
schrebra is offline   Reply With Quote