Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I like bacon. I like exercise. Therefore, if I eat bacon and I exercise, I will not be at any risk.
I'm not sure I follow. I like sex too, btw.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

it is all scare tactic's by the government, i eat bacon and sausage's i don't like processed ham and i don't drink or smoke and lift weights 3-4 times a week so i believe i am pretty healthy and my last doctors check up said i was as well, if you are heavy smoker or drinker or both and have a shit diet with no exercise then to me that it is a recipe for disaster, i just cant see how 3 processed sausages and 2 strips of bacon a day would kill a healthy person i eat allot more then that, if i listened to the government of what i should eat or not to eat i would be eating fook all, lol.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
lol is this true ?
I'm sure it is. I imagine folks that read books are also more health aware.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

I replaced my grain habit with bacon, ham, lots of sausage and Shazam my lipds and LDL went through the floor.

Seems I am at less risk now.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
People who read books live longer.
Be careful applying what you read in health books. You might die of a misprint.

Mark Twain
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
it is all scare tactic's by the government, i eat bacon and sausage's i don't like processed ham and i don't drink or smoke and lift weights 3-4 times a week so i believe i am pretty healthy and my last doctors check up said i was as well, if you are heavy smoker or drinker or both and have a shit diet with no exercise then to me that it is a recipe for disaster, i just cant see how 3 processed sausages and 2 strips of bacon a day would kill a healthy person i eat allot more then that, if i listened to the government of what i should eat or not to eat i would be eating fook all, lol.
Oops, just repped you for your post when I meant to quote.

OK, first off, this is a study conducted at the University of Zurich. It only backs up what the government has been saying for ages. So the main element of the story is actually nothing to do with what the government is saying.

Secondly, how is it scare-mongering? It's not saying that if you eat bacon you're going to die. It suggests instead that your risk of premature death rises, and gives you a best estimate on that.

Thirdly, if you're eating bacon and you're currently healthy, good for you. Your risk is obviously going to be affected by many, many factors. But knowledge is power, right? So you're no worse off knowing that on average there is a risk independent of exercise associated with eating a lot of processed meat.

Fourthly, if you listened to the government about what you should eat, you wouldn't be eating fook all, you'd be eating a basically Mediterrenean diet, with loads of fresh veg, oily fish and a smaller amount of red meat.

You can't see how three sausages a day can kill you - well, sixty years ago, people said exactly the same thing about smoking.

Of course, you could say a life without bacon and sausage might not be worth living anyway

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
I replaced my grain habit with bacon, ham, lots of sausage and Shazam my lipds and LDL went through the floor.

Seems I am at less risk now.
Although I think I remember you saying that you changed other factors as well? Or maybe I misremembered that? Anyway, seriously, that's fantastic if you can eat that food and your blood work looks better. Good luck to you.

But I think it's worth remembering that blood work is only one indicator of health and not the last word in premature death. Also - it's not just deaths from cardiovascular events - processed meat is associated with greater bowel cancer too, at least that's where the evidence seems to be pointing.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's interesting, and he makes some very good points. Just some thoughts:

1) He criticises epidemiological studies as having low standards of evidence. However, there is a trade off in science between control of variables and ecological validity (how much you can trust the results in a real world setting). So you can have very controlled studies of nutritional variables, but they tend to lack real world relevance. Many nutritional effects that seem to matter in small sample size studies actually have very little bearing in real-life mortality.

2) He happily cites obesity as having a major effect on health, but to my mind this comes from exactly the same sort of evidence that he's criticising when it comes down to processed meats.

3) He is calling it a sensationalised scare story in the media. Well, I haven't seen the US coverage, but the BBC story seems pretty measured to me. It reports what it says pretty straightforwardly.

4) He's claiming that there is no attempt to control for variables, but I think this was actually a feature of the analysis - though I don't know much about how this works.

5) There seems to be a whiff of that 'so long as I train hard nothing can hurt me' viewpoint.

Like the overall tone of the blog though, and that the overall conclusion that it might be a good idea to moderate consumption of processed meats.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm not sure I follow. I like sex too, btw.
Mike, I was trying to satirise that type of thinking.

I'm saying that we believe those things that we want to, and which are most convenient for us. Evidence doesn't enter into it. We start with the conclusion we want and work backwards from there.

As a weightlifting forum, we like bacon and lifting heavy things up. Therefore, those things must be good. Weightlifting is the magic shield that protects us against other health choices. Attempts to restrict meat intake is the government interfering. And so on.

I'm not painting myself as any better. I do exactly the same thing all the time. It's just a feature of human nature that when there's something that we don't like to hear, we stick our fingers in our ears until it goes away.