Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member
Default loading creatine monohydrate.

when ever i have used creatine monohydrate in the past i have loaded it for a week, now i have read it is int needed to be loaded so the question is do i need to load it ? looking forward to some feed back on this, thanks.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Taking 5g. a day on workout days is enough.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
The Loading Phase

For a week take 20-30 grams of creatine spaced throughout the day. You can mix it with non-acidic juice(grape juice is recommended) or water. Studies have shown taking creatine with a meal full of high glycemic index carbohydrates(such as pasta and bread)can increase its effectiveness up to 36%. When you consume simple sugars it spikes insulin which helps transport creatine and protein into the muscles. After the first week you then drop down to taking only 5 grams a day, which since you loaded is enough to maintain those peak levels.
The Maintenance Phase

With this approach you simply start off by taking 5 grams everyday, perhaps a little more if you hold more muscle mass and feel as if 5 grams isn’t working for you. Typically anybody less than 180 pounds only needs 5 grams. Do this for 2-3 months and take a month off before supplementing with creatine again. Even though there are no studies that show you should cycle or go off of it, it may be a good idea to give your kidneys a break.

Research now shows that creatine also plays an important role in the brain. It provides energy for proper neuronal functioning and makes neurons more resilient to trauma and disease. There is a direct correlation to neurodegenerative developmental disorders(impairment of the growth and development of the brain or central nervous system) and decreased levels of creatine. It has also been shown to increase IQ and combat mental fatigue.

Cited Scientific Reference:
Watanabe A. et al. (2002) Effect of creatine on mental fatigue and cerebral hemoglobin oxygenation. Neuroscience Research, Volume 42, pages 279–285.

Conversely, it appears that lower brain creatine levels compromises cognitive function. That is, mice lacking the brain form of creatine kinase (the enzyme that converts creatine into phosphocreatine) were slower at learning mazes.
Creatine

Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Taking 5g on training days prob wont be enough unless you train most days and you on the lighter side 70-80kg.

O personally like using the classic loading phase of 20g per day. As a 90kg lifter I know after 5 or so days I'll have reached peak concentrations. I fan then drop to maintenance dose (5-10g) 3 to 4 times a week
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i weigh 90-92kg not lbm my lbm well don't know that one, the classic loading of 20g a day then 5g a day maintenance is what i have done before, then i read i can just take 5-10g a day with out loading, if every one else is still doing the loading phase then that is what i will do, just curious really.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
mrdjmo
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Creatine
mrdjmo is off to a good startmrdjmo is off to a good startmrdjmo is off to a good start

I didn't load I just take 5g per day I find it easier.

238lbs at the moment.
mrdjmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Been years since I have used any, but my suggestion is there is no need to load. 10g a day will be plenty.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Technically any time that your dietary intake of creatine causes increased creatine concentrations your 'loading' So we all use a loading phase. Just different protocols

What isn't nesscary is a very high dose loading. All it does is get you to peak concentrations a week so earlier.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I "cycle" on and off of creatine every few months. No real reason for going on and off, just habit I guess.
I never do a loading phase. I take 5g every morning and 5g post workout. I notice the effects after less than a week.
I'm pushing 270 at the moment, but last time I used creatine I was pushing closer to 290.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

According to Jose Antonio who is huge in the sports nutrition world this is what he recommends:

Quote:
“If you’re seeking a fairly rapid improvement in anaerobic performance and lean body mass, it would be sensible to do a loading phase with creatine,” Antonio says. If time isn’t an issue, Antonio recommends taking a maintenance dose every day, which should fully saturate your muscles within a month.

If you decide to load, experts recommend 20 grams a day for 7 to 14 days.
Personally, I'm not pressed for time so I don't need to use a loading phase.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote