Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Supplement Basics. Please help (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12667)

RGRthat 02-27-2013 11:10 AM

Supplement Basics. Please help

Wanting to hit the basics as far as supplements. My goals are to gain as much strength as possible on a budget.

1 Protien
2 Pre-Workout (Hopefully one that makes my skin crawl)
3 Creatine
4 Sweat

Is there anything missing? Also is the anything that you would recommend as far a brand goes?

big_swede 02-27-2013 11:18 AM

Add Multivitamin and fish oil.

1morerep 02-27-2013 11:19 AM

Yes, you missing your nutrition plan. No matter how much or many supplements you use...if you eat like crap, that's how you going to feel. In addition, make sure that the training plan is design for strength...not cross fit or something similar. We will need some more info if you actually want help for strength. The protein is good, I don't use too much creatine because I retain too much water as it is but I use in the past and gave me good results. For pre-work out I'm using right now Juggernaut HP and I'm feeling that is doing the job, plus taste good. The sweat, blood and chalk are always highly recommended!!! Good luck!

BendtheBar 02-27-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 330136)
Add Multivitamin and fish oil.

^ This is my recommendation. Protein, fish oil and a multi.

A pre-workout if you need a pick-me-up.

RGRthat 02-27-2013 11:54 AM

I already had a thread on my workout plan and nutrition so this was the last (and in my view least important) part. Workout involves high weight low rep and 5x5 while nutrition is 175-250g protien a day, post workout feeding and hitting about 3000 Kcal/day.

BtB would you recommend Animal Paks?

BendtheBar 02-27-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 330144)

BtB would you recommend Animal Paks?

It's a product that has been around for quite a long time, and for a reason. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Supplements are made to supplement our eating plans, and I don't know of many supplements like Animal Pak that deliver as well on that front.

I think beyond the basics, you could also use a product like Hydramino:

HYDRAMINO by Muscle and Strength: Lowest Prices at Muscle & Strength

I like having a flavored BCAA drink around because it gives me something healthy and tasty to drink. I use only a half scoop at a time and it lasts quite a while. I tend to drink this at night with my meals just to fill in the gaps.

Some of you guys won't need extra BCAAs. But with that said, if you want something with taste around the house, this is better than soda.

IainK 02-27-2013 12:45 PM

My 2 cents

Protien powder; If you diet needs a boost in that regard or for conveiniance sake. Bigger you get more you'll probably need powders to get in kcakl and protein demands. A decent whey will do. Prefferably from a good 'bulk' supplier to keep cost down.

Pre-wo; I think these type products are rarely needed. Many use ingrediants that are of no real use or not even needed in a pre-wo product eg creatine and beta-alanine. Or use a 'propiretry blend' that are under dosed. Maybe worth having on occassion. I'd rather just stick to a cup of coffee or even just a can of coke. Diet or not (depenent if I felt I needed the sugar?).

Creatine; A solid product and worth taking. Get creatine mono from a decent company, and job done.

Sweat and pain; No1 ingrediants for happy lifting :)

Multi-vits; If you think your diet is bad in this regard and you need an extra broad range of vits. Prob worth looking for a decent product if thats the case.

Fish oils et al; Probably a good thing. If I was going to use I'd, again, shop for a quality product.

As can be seen loads depends on your diet.

leefarley 02-27-2013 01:10 PM

the only supps i ever buy and use

protein powder
creatine
multi-vit
fish oil

RGRthat 02-28-2013 02:57 PM

went with Muscle Marinade (contains creatine) and protien powder. Also taking fish oil and a multi. Thanks for the input everyone

Tannhauser 02-28-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainK (Post 330155)

Multi-vits; If you think your diet is bad in this regard and you need an extra broad range of vits. Prob worth looking for a decent product if thats the case.

Iain - have you seen any of the research showing a negative effect of supplemental vits on performance/recovery? There are several studies now pointing to this -I don't know about their quality though.