Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Low Carb diet: Watch out, cheese and eggs are bad! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12290)

BigJosh 01-23-2013 11:45 PM

Low Carb diet: Watch out, cheese and eggs are bad!

From a conversation I had earlier today:
Me: Since I've been on my low carb diet I've been eating 7 or 8 eggs a day. And lots of cheese.

Everything Expert: Be careful bro that's really bad for you.

Me: Ummm.. Why?

EE: Because cheese is high in saturated fat. And eggs are high in cholestrol. Have you got your cholesterol and lipid values check? That is really bad for your long term health.

Me: STFU before I use my superior strength to smash you! (That part didn't really happen)

Is there any truth to his statements?

spiritthief 01-24-2013 05:30 AM

Cheese:Most of the commercially available cheese products contain a lot of saturated fat, yes. This is not really good in mass quantitites. A slice or two in a sandwich will not kill you, but do not use it as main calorie source.Low fat cottage cheese is your friend if you feel 'cheesy' (protein + calcium)

Eggs:
Out of a single cell of an egg a complete, living organism can grow. I personally believe that egg is literally the only food source which contains every single building block to build complicated organisms like a body of a bird. Or a human... (Obviously you are not eating the shell which is the main Calcium source for the little bird's bone development, but otherwise..) I eat eggs every single day. If you are worried, eat 2 whole and 5-6 whites. All of the fats are in the yolk, the white is the purest form of protein you can get.

Cholesterol:There is a lot of confusion about this topic since cholesterol have been labelled as an evil thing. In fact there are multiple types of lipids called 'cholesterols', and half of them are healthy / vital. Plenty of sources on the internet, Google it. Since you are probably training hard, your veins are just doing fine. Obviously if you are having some sort of a condition, check it with your doc.

gaspers04 01-24-2013 06:18 AM

I have block cheese everyday, but I have targeted fat goals in lieu of the carbs. Eggs everyday as well cooked with coconut oil.

bamazav 01-24-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 316210)

Is there any truth to his statements?

"Any truth?" Yes, a modicum

Does Mr. Broscience know squat? More than likely he watches Dr. Oz and Oprah for medical insights. If the conversation had continued, you would have heard..."all that protein is going to wreck your...( pick an internal organ, usually kidney)."

BendtheBar 01-24-2013 09:12 AM

My opinion... Saturated fat and cholesterol are not the enemy.

Saturated Fat is Not Bad For Your Brain, and You've Been Lied to

Many folk like to turn low carb eating into a set of rules. My main advice is to research the health benefits of low carb eating, and the health benefits of eating low to no processed foods and decide for yourself. The reason we are eating tons of processed crap foods is because of all this misguided fear.

Bill 01-24-2013 09:18 AM

anyone named "bigjosh" would not be on a low carb diet. you would be eating whole cows and bags of potatoes at every meal.

BendtheBar 01-24-2013 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritthief (Post 316246)
.Low fat cottage cheese is your friend if you feel 'cheesy' (protein + calcium)

Not to sound argumentative or sarcastic, because that's not my intention, but I have to being this to the table. I'm not sure really what is "in" low fat cottage cheese. I would have to do a lot of Googling.

The reason I avoid low fat and low sugar foods is because they tend to be highly processed like low fat cottage cheese.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/att...1&d=1359037181

bruteforce 01-24-2013 09:42 AM

Has Mr. Broscience has his bloodwork done? Eating a dozen eggs and half a pound of cheese as a matter of course during my first round of weight loss took me from 360 pounds to 215, took my fasting blood sugar from 348 to 75, my triglycerides from 1500 to 120, my LDL from too high to measure to 160, and my HDL from 20ish to 50+. So no, nothing wrong with saturated fat and protein.

spiritthief 01-24-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 316299)
I'm not sure really what is "in" low fat cottage cheese.

Ahh, dude, what you have linked must be some 'American' version of cottage cheese. Guar gum? Wtf. Anyway, here, in Europe, cottage cheese is basically the side-product of the cheese making process, naturally high in whey protein and low fat content, perfect bodybuilder food. It is relatively cheap as well. I had a friend who bought it from the cheese factory in 20 litre buckets :D My 18 months old daughter is allowed to eat this and my wife is like a shark when it comes to nutrition labels.

5kgLifter 01-24-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritthief (Post 316530)
Ahh, dude, what you have linked must be some 'American' version of cottage cheese. Guar gum? Wtf. Anyway, here, in Europe, cottage cheese is basically the side-product of the cheese making process, naturally high in whey protein and low fat content, perfect bodybuilder food. It is relatively cheap as well. I had a friend who bought it from the cheese factory in 20 litre buckets :D My 18 months old daughter is allowed to eat this and my wife is like a shark when it comes to nutrition labels.

Yep, I found a UK label ingredients listing, for low fat cottage cheese (The Dairy House):

Skimmed milk, Lactic cultures*, Vegetarian rennet