Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Canned or frozen (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11600)

xxgattlers 11-06-2012 02:25 PM

Canned or frozen

Growing up we always had canned veggies so that is what I have bought as well. But the other day they had frozen corn on sale so I got that. It was so much better than the canned. It had more of a fresh taste to it. Do all frozen veggies taste better this way? Which way is healthier?

5kgLifter 11-06-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxgattlers (Post 290473)
Growing up we always had canned veggies so that is what I have bought as well. But the other day they had frozen corn on sale so I got that. It was so much better than the canned. It had more of a fresh taste to it. Do all frozen veggies taste better this way? Which way is healthier?

Canned normally has salt for preservative, frozen doesn't; frozen is sometimes healthier than fresh because freezing seals in the vitamins which degrade when not frozen. So, frozen, is good.

I WILL 11-06-2012 02:37 PM

Frozen is better, but if you have to use canned a trick that works is to rinse them off with water. This will help remove the salt. :march:

BendtheBar 11-06-2012 02:37 PM

I was going to vote for frozen, but Babs said it better than I could.

leefarley 11-06-2012 03:27 PM

i always buy frozen

rippednmichigan 11-06-2012 04:38 PM

I do like frozen better but eat both. More frozen though as i make a lot of stirfrys

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

gaspers04 11-06-2012 05:28 PM

Either or for me...no biggie.

jslep 11-06-2012 05:38 PM

Frozen veggies would always be more nutritious than canned. Canned veggies have already been cooked at high temps and lost many nutrients then have additives added such as the salt mentioned. Frozen veggies appear to have there nutrients locked in and available when ready for consumption but preperation such as boiling will leach the vitamins into the water which most times is not consumed and you have lost out there. Raw veggies would always give you the most vitamin and nutrient rich amount.

Another side would be Frozen vs. Farm fresh.

If you don't get around to eating your fresh foods they will lose vitamins and nutrients after just days in your fridge so you will need to buy small amounts and replenish often. Frozen veggies have them locked in and waiting. Down fall to frozen is mineral content which is greater in a small market veggie. Small market local growers have the advantage of rich mineral soil over larger market growers.

My vote would be frozen or fresh but in the raw form for best vitamin and mineral consumption.

Iamnoone 11-06-2012 08:56 PM

Fresh or frozen for me

beastmode 11-07-2012 07:31 PM

Frozen tastes better to me but I will eat either.