Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cutting on the warrior diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11493)

leefarley 10-27-2012 04:48 AM

cutting on the warrior diet

i'm going on a cut and thinking about using the warrior diet has any one else used the warrior diet it seems like something that would suit me.

Fazc 10-27-2012 05:20 AM

It tends to get a mixed reception, as evident by most of the IF threads here. From my own personal EXPERIENCE however it has worked for me.

Just highlighting that there, for people who might want to comment without ever having tried it.

BendtheBar 10-27-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 288021)
i'm going on a cut and thinking about using the warrior diet has any one else used the warrior diet it seems like something that would suit me.

My main advice is monitor your calories like any other cut, and to consider adding 2-3 whey isolate shakes (water only) and/or BCAAs during the underfeeding window. Ori Hofmekler, the author of the WD, recommended something like this to anyone interested in maximum mass retention while cutting.

Wesley Silveira, an author and someone I consider to be an reputable source, has used a fasting protocol with many folks he trained, has seen success with BCAAs alone. How you use BCAAs would depend on when you train relative to when you break the fast.

I have used Ori's variation on fasting for over 5 years now. As long as I keep some protein in the underfeeding window I have no issues with mass loss. I spent 6 months in 2009-2010 cutting using this protocol and it worked well. Before that I cut on fasting in 2007 but the weight loss was too rapid.

That's another thing you need to be careful of, and the reason I recommend monitoring calories.

It certainly will work for some folks without BCAAs or morning protein. Wesley Silveria noted this in his book. With that said, it's a simple safeguard, and in my opinion, a wise one if muscle retention is a the primary goal.

bamazav 10-27-2012 09:44 AM

The one thing I have found, by my own experience and talking with others, is the tendency to not count calories or macros closely. End result is they just prolong their overeating and still end up taking in too many calories.

Shorts 10-29-2012 09:50 AM

From my experience, is it what works for me best when trying to cut weight. I am actually on it now, this will be my second time going through it. It fits my thought process perfectly and I will also recommend that you get those shakes in at 1 or 2 times during your underfeeding window, it does help.

I run it using a daily zig-zag style diet in terms of macros, but I feel that you have to be in tune with your average daily intake to preserve what you have to run it this way. If you are just looking for a good cut, run it a couple hundred cals under maintenance and off you go.

BendtheBar 10-29-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 288061)
The one thing I have found, by my own experience and talking with others, is the tendency to not count calories or macros closely. End result is they just prolong their overeating and still end up taking in too many calories.

Right, excellent point.

Or if they are younger with lightning fast metabolisms, I think it can also be easier to undereat. I ran into that in 2007 when I was working as a machinist using fasting. I lose 48ish pounds in 2 months and about 7 of it was muscle.

Some wise bodybuilder once said...the more accurate you want the end result to be, the more precise you must diet. This applies to any eating style if muscle retention is the goal.