Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Post Workout Nutrition - OCD, Hype and Whatnot... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145)

BendtheBar 11-06-2009 03:08 PM

Post Workout Nutrition - OCD, Hype and Whatnot...

Let's talk post-workout nutrition.

I was reading a thread on another forum and a poster was strongly against milk, post workout. I've also seen a bazillion threads that specify exact post-workout carb/protein grams.

What are your thoughts on post-workout nutrition? What is required? Or is it typical bodybuilder OCD?

My slant...my post-workout is usually a small glass of milk with protein powder and something sweet like a Pop Tart or small sweet treat. Why? Because that's what I crave. For years I drank a massive container of chocolate milk post-workout.

Here's why I think it's a bit OCD...there are naturals who haven't gained more then 2-3 pounds of muscle in 5-10 years who are OCD about post-workout meals. They are close to natural limits, such as myself. They can count every gram down to the tenth, but it has virtually no impact whatsoever upon muscle growth.

And does a beginner need to worry about fast acting carbs post-workout, or should they scoop and shovel whatever's within arm's reach?

glwanabe 11-06-2009 03:17 PM

A little of both.

Just drink some protein, and have some simple sugar, but don't neglect some fat for the protein.

Right now I have: scoop of whey in water, 3 fish oil caps, 4 liver tabs, and a few cookies, or a piece of chocolate.

Unless your in the last few weeks before a BB show, don't get crazy anal, about this stuff. For the most part, most people have a pretty good margin for error, and will still be ok.

For the young guys, scope and shovel. For guys my age, a bit of moderation.

BendtheBar 11-06-2009 03:24 PM

Dark chocolate is one of my post-workout staples.

I am truly ignorant on post-workout nutrition. Why are so many against milk?

glwanabe 11-06-2009 03:28 PM

The Broscience prof's say that milk is not digested fast enough. People make up more shit, and pass urban legends around like there's no tomorrow.

I'm off milk only because it started giving me cramps. I was drinking about two gallons a week for several months.

jwood 11-06-2009 03:36 PM

I say just eat something, that is my theory, I usually have a scoop of whey, a piece of fruit, and then I just start pounding down some calories of anything. Peanut butter is one of my favorite things to eat post workout with a shovel a ton of calories and it fills me up for a little while.

BendtheBar 11-06-2009 03:57 PM

Me and Jwood are on the same train.

Regarding milk not being digested fast enough...it is...um, milk! The lifestuff given to us by mothers that is best for us to grow. Granted, this is cow's lifestuff...but...does that really make much of a difference? Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic. I'm not putting down the science behind this belief...I just don't understand the logic.

I guess Optimum Nutrition is smarter then God/Zeus/The Three Stooges/Darwin/Whatever you believe it?

I guess it's all about fast digesting protein?

glwanabe 11-06-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 9290)
Regarding milk not being digested fast enough...it is...um, milk! The lifestuff given to us by mothers that is best for us to grow. Granted, this is cow's lifestuff...but...does that really make much of a difference? Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic. I'm not putting down the science behind this belief...I just don't understand the logic.
I guess Optimum Nutrition is smarter then God/Zeus/The Three Stooges/Darwin/Whatever you believe it?

Science? There is no science behind it, or logic for that matter.

MattB 11-07-2009 12:42 PM

I always have a skim milk/whey shake mixed in with cereal of some kind. I prefer eating post-workout instead of just drinking a shake. Plus lifting weights is really not that glycogen depleting. The carbohydrate with the protein is mostly to help speed up protein synthesis(Shown faster with the addition of carbohydrates).

Heres a study I was reading a while back. Granted it was tested on endurance athletes, still pretty interesting.

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full text | Cereal and nonfat milk support muscle recovery following exercise

BendtheBar 11-07-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattB (Post 9360)
I always have a skim milk/whey shake mixed in with cereal of some kind. I prefer eating post-workout instead of just drinking a shake. Plus lifting weights is really not that glycogen depleting. The carbohydrate with the protein is mostly to help speed up protein synthesis(Shown faster with the addition of carbohydrates).

Heres a study I was reading a while back. Granted it was tested on endurance athletes, still pretty interesting.

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full text | Cereal and nonfat milk support muscle recovery following exercise

Very interesting and revealing post. Thanks Matt.

I think the results would have been close for strength trainees. Some forget - or don't know - that nutrient timing is a relatively new concept. And I do not hesitate to state that much of it's hype is driven by the dollar.

BigFiveFive 11-07-2009 05:31 PM

I go eat dinner after my workouts.

A BIG DINNER!