Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
MattyBoy
Brawn
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: 3 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
MattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributor
Default How many eggs do you eat/drink in a day?

I recently started eating more eggs a day than I used too. When I started I was eating about 3, now I consume about 10 a day. I eat four hard boiled and drink 6 in my protien drinks. It seems the more I eat the better my body is responding. I haven't lost a ton of lbs this three months, but I'm really not trying to either. I have leaned out quit a bit though and my strength seems to be coming on like gangbusters recently.. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the eggs. I can't say for sure because I'm taking creatine and protien sups too. Im not willing to cut any of these three to test it, so im posting. What is your expierence with eggs and how many do you eat? The more I learn about eggs, the more I think I should eat. They're cheap too. I eat the whole egg every time. The cholesterol in egg yolk builds muscle, so I hear, and new studies seem to support whole egg consumption is actually good for you. These are things I've heard though and not actually looked into.
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Right, cholesterol and saturated fats are not the enemy. Plus eggs are filled with nutrition.

During my prime building years I ate 8-12 per day. Looking back though I would have changes them from hard boiled to perhaps deviled eggs or scrambled eggs. Hard boiled are just so tedious to peel and eat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
I recently started eating more eggs a day than I used too. When I started I was eating about 3, now I consume about 10 a day. I eat four hard boiled and drink 6 in my protien drinks. It seems the more I eat the better my body is responding. I haven't lost a ton of lbs this three months, but I'm really not trying to either. I have leaned out quit a bit though and my strength seems to be coming on like gangbusters recently.. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the eggs. I can't say for sure because I'm taking creatine and protien sups too. Im not willing to cut any of these three to test it, so im posting. What is your expierence with eggs and how many do you eat? The more I learn about eggs, the more I think I should eat. They're cheap too. I eat the whole egg every time. The cholesterol in egg yolk builds muscle, so I hear, and new studies seem to support whole egg consumption is actually good for you. These are things I've heard though and not actually looked into.
Its the "total structure" in ones diet (+ proper exterior activity), and hormonal components within ones body---as a whole, that builds/repairs muscle or provides tissue loss: For example, If one needs 2400 calories for MT, and they are only eating 500c per day, and lets say it was all eggs (which provides nearly 0 carbohydrates), this isn't a good muscle building environment, despite eating eggs.

Yes, there has been some recent studies on eggs that are favorable, and points to the position that consumption of cholesterol (which is important for some hormonal production activity within our body), doesn't lead to health issues that were formerly believed.

I mix eggs in salads, make Pita BLTE's, and eat on average about a dozen per week.

I am gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...

Just kidding...lol

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-20-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
MattyBoy
Brawn

MattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributor

Chillen, I get exactly what your saying...all voltage and no current. Protien is the center of my diet ( the fat comes automatically with it, because I don't seek out lean protien). Carbs is a little different. I was being more strict with it, but nowI eat the carbs my body is craving within bounds. I'm going after strength for a while. I've struggled with diet, it's the hardest part. The training is fun, I look forward to it. The eating, on the other hand, is work.

Steve, I'm exactly opposite. Hard boiled eggs are the most convenient. They taste great cold, which is great for a guy who takes his lunch In a lunchbox. Plus I can just shove one in my face and be done. .
Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I've gone as high a 8 a day, split into 4 as an omelette or scrambled, and 4 hard boiled as a later snack.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

6 for first meal with 1oz shredded cheese and a whey protein shake chaser.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Chillen, I get exactly what your saying...all voltage and no current. Protien is the center of my diet ( the fat comes automatically with it, because I don't seek out lean protien). Carbs is a little different. I was being more strict with it, but nowI eat the carbs my body is craving within bounds. I'm going after strength for a while. I've struggled with diet, it's the hardest part. The training is fun, I look forward to it. The eating, on the other hand, is work.

Steve, I'm exactly opposite. Hard boiled eggs are the most convenient. They taste great cold, which is great for a guy who takes his lunch In a lunchbox. Plus I can just shove one in my face and be done. .
What problems are you having with your diet? Besides proper stimulation from the gym, you must work on your dietary structure to solicit muscle growth and/or strength gains in a progressive fashion. You have to "properly" feed the body so it will build muscle, it can not build muscle out of nothing.

What I suggest is to learn what you need in calories per day according to your your body weight, age, size, etc, and use this as a target each day, and manipulate this target up/down in according to your goal want. Harris-Benedict (Google it) is a good formula to use, and will take your personal particulars into account. Once you identify what your problems are, I can give you some direct suggestions on how to handle it, and hit your target each day.

You mind me asking how tall you are and how much you weigh? Are you over weight or underweight for your size? There is much I do not know about you so I am reluctant to give specific advice, but once you learn what your Maintenance Line in calories are, you then can target about 1g per pound of lean body weight (to start things off), and fill the rest with carbohydrates and fats.

I would also suggest to study on the different types of carbohydrates (complex, simple) and how different sets of food affect blood sugar, and insulin spikes, if (as you are suggesting) eating carbohydrates (though you didn't provide the type of food, or timing) makes you hungry.

I addition, do not be afraid of eating good sources of fat. Dietary fat can be the most misunderstood macro, but it is from this framework, many of our important hormones are created from, and the body uses it for a variety of other tasks.

If an increase in muscle is what you are after, you must give calories and macros the proper attention. As much attention as the training you do.

For training, what are you doing?

Best wishes for success,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
MattyBoy
Brawn

I'm 5' 8" 270lbs. I was 286 lbs when I started. Being a total beginner I think I'm still enjoying the simultaneous muscle build and fat loss effect. I don't know how long that will last. I calculated my calories to be about 2,700 for fat loss. I quit perusing fat loss ( even though its still happening). I'm focussing on strength until April. From April to the end of July, I'm planning a Conditioning phase.I have a goal to hike kings peak with my friends in August.

What sucks about my diet is having to eat. I cut out bread and sugar for the most part (unless my wife makes carbs for dinner or my body is absolutely craving it). I also had to quit drinking milk because I finally realized that'd what was tearing up my guts. So sometimes I struggle to even get 2,400 cals. I quit counting the cals and started counting my protien. Although, I still periodically log my food so I can keep an eye on my macros. Everything averaged, my macros come in at 40 p/ 40 f/ 20 c. My carbs are usually from good sources, with the exceptions I mentioned. When my strength quits progressing I'm going to have to up my food intake. I'm actually dreading this. I hope it's not for a while.

I was training 3 times a week. But I started a new routine a couple weeks ago, it's twice a week. I'm doing heavy (for me) loads with low reps depending on the movement. When my body Adapts to this better I want to up it to 3. Right now, that would be crazy though. I'm pretty whipped out for a couple days afterword.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I halve 8-12 raw eggs every day. Ive almost stopped using protein powders (alone) and instead my chake consist of 2-4 eggs, 1/2 liter of raw milk and low-sugar choko-milk powder + 2-4 tablespoons of whey powder on occasion. Gets the job done and slides down easy =)
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
MattyBoy
Brawn

Big_swede. I've thought about doing something like that. Except I couldn't use the milk. I think I'll try it