Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vitamin D (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11223)

fittguy 09-28-2012 06:23 PM

Vitamin D

I have read several times that ladies do not get enough vitamin D in their diets but just read an article that stated many men do not either. I always thought that I did but now am not too sure. What would be some good ways to make sure that I am getting enough into my diet?

bamazav 09-28-2012 06:51 PM

Cod liver oil, 1 tablespoon
Swordfish, cooked, 3 ounces
Salmon (sockeye), cooked, 3 ounces
Tuna fish, canned in water, drained, 3 ounces
Orange juice fortified with vitamin D, 1 cup (check product labels, as amount of added vitamin D varies)
Milk, nonfat, reduced fat, and whole, vitamin D-fortified, 1 cup
Yogurt, fortified with 20% of the DV for vitamin D, 6 ounces (more heavily fortified yogurts provide more of the DV)
Margarine, fortified, 1 tablespoon
Sardines, canned in oil, drained, 2 sardines
Liver, beef, cooked, 3 ounces
Egg, 1 large (vitamin D is found in yolk)
Ready-to-eat cereal, fortified with 10% of the DV for vitamin D, 0.75-1 cup (more heavily fortified cereals might provide more of the DV)
Cheese, Swiss, 1 ounce

5kgLifter 09-28-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fittguy (Post 280582)
I have read several times that ladies do not get enough vitamin D in their diets but just read an article that stated many men do not either. I always thought that I did but now am not too sure. What would be some good ways to make sure that I am getting enough into my diet?

Diet...okay...let's not forget that vitamin D is also synthesised through the skin's contact with sunlight/cloudy days etc. Of course, depending on where a person lives will depend on how much vitamin D they are able to get via sunlight and surprisingly as it may seem, some of the sunnier areas don't get as much vitamin D as other areas, something to do with the relation of the sun to the equator and a host of other things along that line.

ricka182 09-28-2012 08:13 PM

I supplement D3 daily. Two pills a day, 5000 IU's each.

crashed 09-30-2012 10:26 AM

If you are worried about it, get outside a bit more and suck in the vitamin D from the sun and supplement with a pill.

henryh 10-04-2012 07:50 PM

I don't really worry too much about vitamin D. I get outside enough and also enjoy foods that are rich in them such as liver.

moeheep 10-04-2012 08:14 PM

I drink 1/2 gal whole milk a day..minimum

ivanthegreat 10-18-2012 03:27 PM

I believe the upper limit is something like 4k IU so as a bber I just take that amount per day. Could be a little over since I live in California. Been Supplementing Vit-D3 for like 6 months and no issues experienced.

MikeC 10-18-2012 07:01 PM

If I'm not outside much should I be taking more?

hax88 10-19-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 286051)
If I'm not outside much should I be taking more?

Depends on what you are eating during the day. Do you eat foods that are rich in vitamin D?