Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default Carb Backloading resource

Lots of questions on this topic recently. Here's some of the information I have used:

I never bought the book the carb backloding book. I looked into it but couldn't justify spending that much. I found plenty out from the EliteFTS articles:

EFS Classic:Carb Back-loading

Long-Term Carb Back-Loading

Here's all of Kiefer's articles:

Elite FTS | kiefer

I did a bit of reading on his website and forum:

Dangerously Hardcore -

However, I found it all a bit too sheep like and strict for my liking. As for the training...

Feel free to post more info and links in here.

Al
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sticky.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Thank you Al!

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Started reading the book.

Quote:
Carb Back-Loading Cliff Notes

1. Shift calories to later in the day, eating lighter in the
morning and early afternoon, and feast at night. This
may include skipping breakfast.
2. Keep carbs at an absolute minimum throughout the
day until training.
3. Train in the afternoon, at around 5pm or so.
4. Start ingesting carbs after your training session, up to
30 minutes later.
5. Continue eating carbs throughout the night.
This is how I've been eating since early 2008. I never eat carbs during the day, only protein. I eat very low cal before my training, 500 cals max. I train around 4pm, and usually would feast afterwords with a huge meal and follow up snack.

Unless I'm missing something else important, this is exactly how I've eaten for quite sometime. It's allowed me to maintain muscle mass and build quite a bit of strength, but I still needed to heavily watch calorie intake. (Obvious, I know)

Just wondering if you guys losing fat are monitoring calories? I ran a protocol like this exclusively in 2010 when I lost 35 pounds but I had to run an extremely monitored calorie intake, just as I did with frequent feeding. I can see it being much easier for young lifters with faster metabolisms.

I have only read the first 30 pages and not seen anything commenting on calorie guidelines, etc, during the evening. I am a bit tired and could have missed it.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-28-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Bookmarked. Thank you LtL. I don't think carb counting is for me as I've failed more than once at it. I need to drop some fat around my stomach and I am considering the low carb option. Any way, sorry for the novel, looking forward to learning more about this.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

I don't eat strictly in a carb back-loading fashion, but somewhat similar. Seems to work well for me, but I still have a fast metabolism at 29 years old.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

i am not counting to the T but i have a good idea of what i intake 250g protein gaurenteed 300-400 carbs 100-150 fats
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
i am not counting to the T but i have a good idea of what i intake 250g protein gaurenteed 300-400 carbs 100-150 fats
Does he advocate counting, or any form of monitoring, restrictions or limitations? Or is it mostly based on satiety and semi-reasonable consumption (not eating a box of Ding Dongers)?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Does he advocate counting, or any form of monitoring, restrictions or limitations? Or is it mostly based on satiety and semi-reasonable consumption (not eating a box of Ding Dongers)?
He recommends using the mirror and how you feel. He says having an idea of what your intake is will help you make adjustments if needed. Basically if you wake up bloated, cut back. And though he says you can eat junk like pizza and ice cream he opts the whole food alternatives, or homemade. He does not suggest pizza form the grocery store freezer, cookies? bake them at home. White breads, rice, potatos, yams are direct whole food sources. He says stay away from whole grains.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn