Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

LTL on CBL pros and cons:

Quote:
For me CBL works great. In my last big period of weightloss I went from 95-96kgs all of the way down to 77kgs at my lowest. During that period I went from carb cycling to full Leto diet as I got leaner. Eventually I was having 25grams of carbs pre and post training and one carb up day per week where I'd eat as much as possible. I got pretty lean, 10% body fat possibly lower but I also lost muscle, was grouchy, miserable and lacked energy.

Naturally I am not a big eater of carbs anyway. Never have been. I would eat meat and veg all day with the odd sweet treat rather than loads of potatoes, bread or rice with each meal. Those kind of carbs often left me feeling lethargic particularly first thing in the morning when the blood sugar drop was pretty bad.

All of these things combined mean that CBL works well for me. To answer your original question the pros are:

- Works with my natural eating rhythms (light in the morning, heavy in the evening) and with my natural food tastes as described above.
- It requires minimal food prep as you can always find meat to eat and remove carbs.
- It's a sociable diet. I can eat with the family in the evening and if I have a business lunch and stay on diet without having to raise hell to get the food I need.
- You get to eat whatever carbs you want.
- It's the only time I have actively recomped since I started training. I can maintain weight and have my waist get smaller at the same time.

Cons:

- Difficult to gain mass on it I think although I haven't tried yet.
- Won't work for everyone. If you are a natural meat eater, it's great but my wife for example processes carbs really well, never gets the blood sugar spikes and drops that I had even when eating "good" carbs so she would HATE the keto part of the day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Interested as this is kind of how I usually eat. Trying to figure out how to on figure for morning workouts.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Interested as this is kind of how I usually eat. Trying to figure out how to on figure for morning workouts.
Video should help. Also this article, last paragraph. Worked for me with morning workouts.

Last edited by JTurner; 11-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Video should help. Also this article, last paragraph. Worked for me with morning workouts.

Carb Back-Loading in the Morning - Can You Workout in the Morning? - YouTube
Thanks, very helpful.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I have been having a lot of thoughts about carb back loading lately. I need to find something to balance my eating and limit my winter fat gain. I am thinking of using a modified carb back load. Basically adding in carbs pre workout. Chad Wesley Smith uses something similar. Here is what I was thinking:

730 am-2 tsp of cpoconut oil
10 am- shake- 50 grams protein
12- lean beef or chicken plus veggies
2-nuts and fruit
Possible additional piece of fruit here, depending on my day at work
around 4-5 workout
Post workout feast

I have a few reasons for doing it this way. When I previously did CBL I lost a lot of weight fast and it really affected my lifts. I am looking to maintain my weight right now and slowly work on my body fat levels while staying at the same weight. I have ground beef for lunch on my workout days to get in more fat and calories. Chicken on off days to keep some variety.

I found that previously I would get really fatigued about half way through my workouts previously, I felt like I was running on empty. So I can have some additional quick calories before my workout. Not sure when I will start this, I am just really throwing out ideas right now.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Anyone in here purchased the e-book? Worth the investment?

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Anyone in here purchased the e-book? Worth the investment?
I'm currently reading it, but I didn't purchase it. It was originally $89 which is absurd for an e-book. Now it's ~$50, but that's still too much, even for print.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Night carbs. Posting because of the topic...

Why you should eat carbs in the EVENING rather than during the day to lose weight | Mail Online

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn