Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
futurefreak
New Brawn
Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

futurefreak is off to a bad start
Default Food diary

Is it neccessary to keep a food diary? How many members on here keep one?
futurefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I think it's helpful to keep one for a short time just so you know what your basic calories and macros are for maintenance purposes. Then you'll have a better idea of how to bulk or cut when you want to. Beyond that, probably better for competitive bodybuilders but not so much for the average lifter.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

every calorie....every meal....every day...

I have lost 100 pounds, and I still eat 3200 a day to try to gain.....
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
futurefreak
New Brawn
Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

futurefreak is off to a bad start

I have never done one but thought I would ask to see if it was neccessary. Sounds like I will for a while just to see what I am eating.
futurefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefreak View Post
Is it neccessary to keep a food diary? How many members on here keep one?
Depends entirely upon your goal. If you are wanting to lose weight, you will be more successful with one. If you are wanting to lose fat, it is a necessity. If you are wanting to lean bulk, necessity. If you are wanting to get fat, don't log anything. Short answer... Yes and no.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Not necessary, but good idea. I once thought I was eating enough and when I crunched the numbers realized I was about 1000 cals. short. Do it religiously for about a month and once you know, physically, how much you are eating you can check it periodically.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
titus_teen
Brawn
Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

titus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good start

I started to once I lifted. It has helped me realize the garbage that was going into my body.
titus_teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I go through cycles of keeping them. When I slack off, its usually because I've been eating like crap and feel to guilty to write it down.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Food diaries are good and can be used in varying ways:

1) Those that break things down into the exact P/C/F ratios for every meal on a daily basis; normally used by people prepping for competitions.

2) Those that keep track of calories, used by those that are either trying to lose or gain weight but don't want to track P/C/F ratios as such.

3) Those that loosely track the meals they're eating without placing either calorie counts or P/C/F ratios alongside the information. With this plan, which may not seem enough to some, you can still add a bit of food here and there or subtract a bit here and there and make the progress you want, since you're still tracking what is occurring.

Some will use a mix of 1 and 2 above etc, and it's not necessarily just people prepping for shows that will use the first mentioned and so on; you have to select what works for you.

If starting with P/C/F ratios seems unnerving then start with meal tracking, then add calorie breakdowns in and then track P/C/Fs as you get more used to things...in this way, it won't feel so daunting for some.

Most people that track their meals will have some idea of the calories within a certain number of those meals, purely because they consume them on a regular basis; it all helps.

It has to be said, however, that no matter which plan you choose to follow, if you don't take a scale reading and maybe tape measure readings of certain points on the body, it won't mean a lot, at the end of the day; you have to have something other than just the food intake to base your results on.