Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Soda pop (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10197)

superzero 06-07-2012 10:55 AM

Soda pop

A few years ago I was the king of sodas. I loved it. Drank it with every meal and even took a bottle to bed with me. I am so glad that I changed though as I am finding out how bad soda really is for one. I slowly weaned myself off it and stopped taking it to bed. Then limited it to only at supper. Then only to if we went out to eat. Now I rarely have it. I usually have tea or water instead or even milk. Soda is so bad for your health, it makes us overweight or obese and plays a huge part in diabetes, heart disease and stroke. If you drink soda, consider stopping as it is so bad for you.

Chillen 06-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superzero (Post 248916)
A few years ago I was the king of sodas. I loved it. Drank it with every meal and even took a bottle to bed with me. I am so glad that I changed though as I am finding out how bad soda really is for one. I slowly weaned myself off it and stopped taking it to bed. Then limited it to only at supper. Then only to if we went out to eat. Now I rarely have it. I usually have tea or water instead or even milk. Soda is so bad for your health, it makes us overweight or obese and plays a huge part in diabetes, heart disease and stroke. If you drink soda, consider stopping as it is so bad for you.

Though New York State with their recent ban on large soft drinks, would want you to believe that soft drinks are the cause of obesity, the actual cause or causes actually are much deeper than this. In most cases pointing to the average healthy male and female, it is simply eating far too much, and the inability to self-discipline, turn on the brain in reference to the food they eat, and marketing/promotional schemes from businesses.

Though I never really, drank soda regularly, I have used the soft drink (on occasion) for diet strategic reasons.

Being lean now, I don't drink it, but when I was working to lean down, I sometimes would drink a large (diet) soda, to obtain the stomach bloat (from the Carbonated water) to obtain temporary stomach fullness, and this gave me time to smack myself upside the head, and keep my diet.

Best regards,

Chillen

ItalianScallion 06-08-2012 06:37 PM

I have never been much of a soda guy. I prefer to drink water or milk.

superzero 06-18-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillen (Post 249147)
Though New York State with their recent ban on large soft drinks, would want you to believe that soft drinks are the cause of obesity, the actual cause or causes actually are much deeper than this. In most cases pointing to the average healthy male and female, it is simply eating far too much, and the inability to self-discipline, turn on the brain in reference to the food they eat, and marketing/promotional schemes from businesses.

Though I never really, drank soda regularly, I have used the soft drink (on occasion) for diet strategic reasons.

Being lean now, I don't drink it, but when I was working to lean down, I sometimes would drink a large (diet) soda, to obtain the stomach bloat (from the Carbonated water) to obtain temporary stomach fullness, and this gave me time to smack myself upside the head, and keep my diet.

Best regards,

Chillen

I was never a diet soda person. I loved any flavor that was not diet. It was very hard for me to get off the soda kick but I am so glad that I did.

bruteforce 06-18-2012 05:50 PM

Soft drinks played a large part in my excess calorie consumption, which in turn led to diabetes. Getting rid of soda, sugar in general, and refined carbs got me fixed up, but only after 18 months hard work.

JacktheThriller 06-18-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillen (Post 249147)

Chillen

Most people don't have the nutritional knowledge of the people on this board.The average person knows nothing. They think whole grains are amazing for you and fat is bad. I wouldn't put the blame so much on their inability to regulate their own diet as on the hormonal response created by the food they are "told" is good or ok for them. When in reality the government refuses to recognize 30+ years of nutrition science. People are fat because their government was more concerned with grain profits than the health of their population. My 2 Cents

Tannhauser 06-19-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheThriller (Post 252098)
Most people don't have the nutritional knowledge of the people on this board.The average person knows nothing. They think whole grains are amazing for you and fat is bad. I wouldn't put the blame so much on their inability to regulate their own diet as on the hormonal response created by the food they are "told" is good or ok for them. When in reality the government refuses to recognize 30+ years of nutrition science. People are fat because their government was more concerned with grain profits than the health of their population. My 2 Cents

1) I'm on this board and my nutritional knowledge is reasonably good. I think the grains are just fine and I'm yet to see anything to convince me otherwise. I also think a large amount of fat, especially saturated fat, is unhealthy.

2)To say the government (by which I presume you mean the US government) doesn't recognise recent nutritional science isn't true. The last 30 years has seen a shift in attitude towards regarding fat as the sole culprit for various maladies in the scientific community, and this has been reflected in government advice.

Current US government guidelines include lowering: solid fats, sugar, sodium, refined grains and processed foods: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/...elines2010.pdf

Exactly what 'nutritional science' are they currently ignoring? Sally Fallon's?

3) Saying that the average person knows nothing is completely overstating things. Most people know that too much processed food isn;t good, that they should eat more vegetables, that added sugar isn't good, maybe even that trans-fats should be avoided.

BendtheBar 06-19-2012 08:26 AM

I was never a calorie soda guy but I did pound calorie-dense cappuccino; usually the convenience store kind, 20 ouncers, packed with sugar. Most likely I was taking in 1500 calories a day from these alone.

Off Road 06-19-2012 08:39 AM

I used to drink 2 or 3 sodas a day when I was younger. Now I drink about 2 or 3 a month. It's was more of a change in taste as I got older rather than a health choice, but the health benefit of cutting down was a nice side effect.

Tannhauser 06-19-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 252250)
I used to drink 2 or 3 sodas a day when I was younger. Now I drink about 2 or 3 a month. It's was more of a change in taste as I got older rather than a health choice, but the health benefit of cutting down was a nice side effect.

OR, are you finding that things taste sweeter and sweeter as you get older? For example, I find it really hard to eat milk chocolate now: it just feels like I've emptied a sugar bowl into my mouth.

It's really weird.

I've noticed it over the last five years. I've even started liking dark chocolate, which I couldn't stomach at all for most of my life.