Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avocados (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10157)

henryh 06-03-2012 02:36 PM

Avocados

Avocados are one food that I love eating but I have heard that they are high in fat. Is this true? If so I guess I need to avoid them.

Rich Knapp 06-03-2012 02:42 PM

http://www.avocado.org/assets/Upload...s-sidebar2.jpg

Rich Knapp 06-03-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

According to the American Heart Association:
Knowing which fats raise LDL (bad) cholesterol and which ones don't is the first step in lowering your risk of heart disease. In addition to the LDL produced naturally by your body, saturated fat, trans-fatty acids and dietary cholesterol can also raise blood cholesterol. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats appear to not raise LDL cholesterol.
Cholesterol can't dissolve in the blood. It has to be transported to and from the cells by carriers called lipoproteins. Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, is known as "bad" cholesterol. High-density lipoprotein, or HDL, is known as "good" cholesterol.
Mono and polyunsaturated fats, when consumed in moderation and eaten in place of saturated or trans fats, can help reduce blood cholesterol levels and decrease risk for heart disease. Avocados are one of the few fruits that provide "good" fats Avocados contribute good fats to one's diet, providing 3g of mono and 0.5g polyunsaturated fat per 1 oz. serving
Here is some good things said about them.

tonpaulerc 06-03-2012 03:48 PM

They are higher in fat, but that does not mean you should not be eating them. They have monosaturated fat which is the good kind, which will help to lower cholesterol.

ehubbard 06-04-2012 08:25 AM

Fat is your friend. Sugar is your enemy.

I did a meal plan with Brandon Lilly and upped my fat intake to 55 pct of my total caloric intake. I ate 1-2 whole avocados a day plus a ton of olive and coconut oil. My weight held steady and I leaned up quite a bit. If I wanted to loose weight I would have just lowered calories and reduced carbs slightly. The other myth you may want to get rid of is that dietary intake of cholesterol has anything to do with your total cholesterol. The below has some great info on cholesterol and fat:

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. | Peter Attia, M.D., explains why everything you think you know about nutrition is wrong.

Rich Knapp 06-04-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehubbard (Post 247823)
Fat is your friend. Sugar is your enemy.

I did a meal plan with Brandon Lilly and upped my fat intake to 55 pct of my total caloric intake. I ate 1-2 whole avocados a day plus a ton of olive and coconut oil. My weight held steady and I leaned up quite a bit. If I wanted to loose weight I would have just lowered calories and reduced carbs slightly. The other myth you may want to get rid of is that dietary intake of cholesterol has anything to do with your total cholesterol. The below has some great info on cholesterol and fat:

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. | Peter Attia, M.D., explains why everything you think you know about nutrition is wrong.

:rockon: Great point. People, also notice what kind of fats he is talking about. He isn't saying sit down and have a meal of the fat everyone trims off there meat. It isn't a licenses to not pay attention. You still need to know how much and what kind of fat your taking in.

The body needs some Sat. fat (hard fat at room temp) to digest food. It don't need a pile of lard on your plate. ;) The liquid fats at room temp will do your body good. :) Be smart about it.

ItalianScallion 06-08-2012 06:39 PM

They may be high in fat, but it is not going to hurt you to eat them. It is the good fat anyway as stated above. So eat away and do not feel guilty for eating them.