Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #41
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think there's two quite distinct debates here:

1) The 'bandwagon' effect of I.F and/or Leangains.

2) The actual usefulness of I.F as a means to eat.

In regards to the first one, I've talked about that here and here and also Btb referred to it here. I don't think that's a fight which is necessarily even worth fighting. People of that mind-set are going to obsessively side with something, whether that's a training regimen, a diet regimen, religion or science. There's nothing to be gained from talking or listening to people like that.

In regards to the second one it's an open book. I will point out here though that muscle loss, especially while losing a large portion of weight, is almost inevitable whatever diet strategy is employed and in the final estimation it is how you respond that matters most.

At the end of it all, results are what matters. However I strongly feel that for us to remain objective and open minded on this form there needs to be a separation from I.F for what it is, and I.F for what these obsessive goobers make it out to be. If we can't do that, then we run the risk of being just as close minded and unwilling to learn as they are. If we can maintain an open mind then that's how we learn and everyone benefits.

Besides it wasn't long ago that people thought frequent squats would lead to overtraining.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #42
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

If you'd like to keep as much LBM as possible, fasting for hours is moronic...period.
Don't wanna listen, it's your loss...not mine, so enjoy
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #43
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
If you'd like to keep as much LBM as possible, fasting for hours is moronic...period.
Don't wanna listen, it's your loss...not mine, so enjoy
This attitude is just as much a contributor to the aggressive stance of some IF supporters as the actual IF group themselves. You alienate any group with insults and put-downs and it's no surprise that they will respond in kind.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
Randoja
Powered by Purus
Max Brawn
Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 12 years on and off.
Fav Exercise: Squat/Bench/Dead
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
Randoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master member

I have seen a lot of successful athletes on the IF protocol. Conversely, I don't see a lot of "big" guys. IMO IF is good for cutting at best, reasons being: BCAA throughout the day keeps your body sure that it's getting what it needs. I'm pretty sure about 4g of Leucine is what optimizes anabolic response. On the other hand getting to eat all your calories in a short amount of time make your meals a bit more lavish, which I assume helps people that struggle with dieting because of lack of substance, taste, etc. The reason it works well for cutting is because you weren't going to be able to add any additional muscle anyway, so it isn't noticed as much, that most of those calories you eat in your window aren't being utilized to their full capacity, especially protein. The food is more or less just going through the motions. So for cutting I assume that it's even on both sides. Bulking however I wouldn't think it optimum, for many of the same reasons that I stated on the topic of cutting. Just my .02
www.puruslabs.net
www.unbreakablegear.com <--Save 10% on apparel with coupon code MAB10!
Meet PR's:451/270/501 (181) 479/270/529 (198) Best Total: 1212@181 1278@198

Last edited by Randoja; 09-05-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Randoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #45
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoja View Post
I have seen a lot of successful athletes on the IF protocol. Conversely, I don't see a lot of "big" guys. IMO IF is good for cutting at best, reasons being: BCAA throughout the day keeps your body sure that it's getting what it needs. I'm pretty sure about 4g of Leucine is what optimizes anabolic response. On the other hand getting to eat all your calories in a short amount of time make your meals a bit more lavish, which I assume helps people that struggle with dieting because of lack of substance, taste, etc. The reason it works well for cutting is because you weren't going to be able to add any additional muscle anyway, so it isn't noticed as much, that most of those calories you eat in your window aren't being utilized to their full capacity, especially protein. The food is more or less just going through the motions. So for cutting I assume that it's even on both sides. Bulking however I wouldn't think it optimum, for many of the same reasons that I stated on the topic of cutting. Just my .02
Huh?

"Big" lean guys typically don't need to IF. They're using enough gear to make up for any mistakes.

Last edited by Donkeypuncher; 09-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Donkeypuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #46
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just adding to the conversation. Again, I don't present this info to attack IF, but rather to remind folks that it never hurts to research before jumping into something that seems magical.

Quote:
There’s a belief that I’m here to knock the Paleo movement or even to make a few jabs at influential figures like Robb Wolf—I only do that with asinine plans like IF and it’s supporters when they preach a blind, unjustified faith in the diet’s non-existent magical powers. - Kiefer

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #47
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I still haven't seen one successful person use IF who has any appreciable muscle and who isn't using gear. Seems to work really well if you have chemicals in your body helping you hold onto the lean muscle while you don't eat.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #48
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
I still haven't seen one successful person use IF who has any appreciable muscle and who isn't using gear. Seems to work really well if you have chemicals in your body helping you hold onto the lean muscle while you don't eat.
Agreed. all the natty guys i have seen look like typical 160lb cover of mens health types.

eating 6 meals per day seems to work for natty bodybuilders.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #49
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

How many natural lifters are lean and carry appreciable mass, regardless of their methodology? Let's be honest, not many.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
Randoja