Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Deficient in Iron (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10017)

musclewannabe 05-19-2012 03:15 PM

Deficient in Iron

I just got tested and I have a low iron count. I want to be able to not have to take iron pills for the rest of my life. I do know that liver is high in iron. And clams as well. what are some other high iron foods for me to include in my diet.

5kgLifter 05-19-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musclewannabe (Post 243045)
I just got tested and I have a low iron count. I want to be able to not have to take iron pills for the rest of my life. I do know that liver is high in iron. And clams as well. what are some other high iron foods for me to include in my diet.

It takes about 3 months for the body to replenish iron, according to a doctor; so, you may only need a short course of meds to bring the iron count back up.

IronManlet 05-19-2012 07:22 PM

In addition to what 5kg said, black strap molasses (the real stuff, not the pussy Wal-Mart knockoffs) is pretty high in iron: 4.5mg per tbsp.

IronWill 05-19-2012 08:18 PM

Vegetables That Are High in Iron

Vegetables Quantity Iron (mg)
Soybeans 2 cups 30
Cooked Spinach 2 cups 12.8
Swiss Chard (cooked) 2 cups 8
Peas 2 cups 6.76
Chickpeas 2 cups 6.4
Turnip Greens 2 cups 6.4
Collard Greens 2 cups 6.2
Potato 2 large 6
Asparagus 2 cups 5.74
Parsley 1 cup 5.5
Water Cress 2 cups 4.4
Brussels Sprouts 2 cups 3.8
Cooked Pumpkin 2 cups 3.4
Beetroot 2 cups 2.68

gOoGlE

Ryano 05-19-2012 08:52 PM

I'm no doctor, but you might want to find out why you have a low iron count. From what I understand, internal bleeding (colon polops) can cause it. Might be better to find the cause and fix it, rather than trying to raise it. Giving blood can lower your iron too.

Trent 05-20-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 243121)
I'm no doctor, but you might want to find out why you have a low iron count. From what I understand, internal bleeding (colon polops) can cause it. Might be better to find the cause and fix it, rather than trying to raise it. Giving blood can lower your iron too.

That seems odd that giving blood can raise your iron count. How does it do this?

5kgLifter 05-20-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 243121)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 243259)
That seems odd that giving blood can raise your iron count. How does it do this?

I think you misread ;)