Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
gethuge69
Brawn
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gethuge69 is off to a bad start
Default Switching Routines.. Or not.

Hi all,

Love this forum. I've been on the same routine now for about 4 - 5 months, and I really love it, and i've been making good gains on it. I don't progress too much strength wise by adding weight on the bar very often, but so far I am pleased with the way my physique has been looking. My question is, can I keep doing the same routine year after year without having to switch routines? I mean, I really like my routine- and I can't think of a better way to train. I also am very happy with my exercise selection and after trying to swap some exercises for others I really prefered the original way I was doing things. With that said, can't i just keep keep staying with my routine, and change my diet accordingly? My goal is and always will be aestetics, so can i stop this cycle of looking for a different routine and stick with my current?
gethuge69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You can keep using the same routine as long as you'd like. Progress is progress, and if you're making it, I wouldn't change much.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself...height, weight, age, what type of split you're using, what type of exercises, and about how much you've gained on these exercises over the past 4 months?

Wouldn't hurt to know a bit about your eating habits either.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
gethuge69
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You can keep using the same routine as long as you'd like. Progress is progress, and if you're making it, I wouldn't change much.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself...height, weight, age, what type of split you're using, what type of exercises, and about how much you've gained on these exercises over the past 4 months?

Wouldn't hurt to know a bit about your eating habits either.
Thank you. That cleared up a bunch of anxiety!

5'5, 150 lbs, 24 years old, following a upper/lower type split. Bench Day/Squat Day/Bench Day/Deadlift day
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Absolutely, no reason to switch as long as it's working for you. At some point progress will slow way down and then it may be time to switch some things or tweak the way you do them. But definitely, add weight to the bar when you can, it's important for continued progress.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
gethuge69
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Absolutely, no reason to switch as long as it's working for you. At some point progress will slow way down and then it may be time to switch some things or tweak the way you do them. But definitely, add weight to the bar when you can, it's important for continued progress.
I don't add much weight to the bar, but my size has increased a lot more than when I was using more strength oriented routines and was adding weight every week. So, I figure i'm going to keep using this routine for years to come.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If you don't find ways to progress, you will stop growing. Everybody grows at the start, but it gets much tougher as you go along unless you give your body a reason.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
gethuge69
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If you don't find ways to progress, you will stop growing. Everybody grows at the start, but it gets much tougher as you go along unless you give your body a reason.
Well I have added VERY little to the bar in the last 4-5 months. 5 lbs on one or two of the lifts, not much..

Is my routine actually the problem? I mean, im into bodybuilding, not powerlifting. I guess adding weight to the bar is important- but I also believe i need a good ammount of volume to grow.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

The gyms are full of guys that use the same ammount of weights every time they workout. And you know what? They look pretty much the same year after year. Your body does not want to produce more muscle, you have to give it a reason to do it.

Everybody puts on a little muscle in their first year and starts looking better. It almost doesn't matter if your routine is good or not, it all kind of works for the beginners. They add a little muscle, get a little leaner, and they start thinking they've got it all figured out.

The problems come when you've used up your beginner gains and improvement stops...

There are a few ways to progress in this hobby/sport but it all boils down to the fact that you have to keep increasing the demands placed upon your body. You can increase intensity, increase volume, and increase frequency. If you start at the top end of any of these you have no room to move up. Any further increases can result in stalls, over-reaching, and eventually overtraining.

I am glad that you found a routine that you enjoy, after all this should be fun. I am also glad that you are seeing results that are pleasing to you. Enjoy this time, it's magical. If you reach a point where you are no longer happy with your progress we'll be here to help you. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just to piggyback on what Off Road said, if your routine is an upper/lower, it's most likely not a problem. In fact, there's a good chance it's decent and something we would advocate here.

Progression of weight is going to drive gains for you. You need to start pushing yourself on sets for more reps, and adding weight when you can. There are no weak bodybuilders. They all use progression of weight in some form or fashion. While strength is not the end game, it's a primary vehicle.

My advice is this...using good form, push yourself on every set for as many reps as possible, stopping that set when either your form starts to slip, or you feel you may fail on the next rep. When you reach "about" 10 reps for a compound exercise set, add weight. Isolation movements might be 12-15.

This really isn't so much a rule as a general guideline and way of thinking. The point is to work within hypertrophy rep ranges, which are around 5-12 for compound movements), push yourself, and add weight when you can perform enough reps with that given weight.

Do this for 2 years on about any routine and you will see good gains. Do this for 2 years on a solid routine, like the one you're using, and you'll make better gains.

On top of this, you need a sensible eating plan with plenty of protein.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote