Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #41
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Gymnast use static holds in thier strength programs with great success.

A simple exercise that can be utilized by eveyone is to use static holds for dumbell laterals.

The time limit for a hold is 1 minute. If you can hold a weight 1 minute then it is time to increase weight.

If you cannot hold a weight for one minute then you perform timed sets that add up to 1 minute of total time. You continue to try to hold the first hold longer each time you attempt it, until you reach 1 minute.

Something you will find interesting about performing these lateral static holds is the compound effect they will have.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

I agree research on methods used trained individuals is lacking greatly. Most is done on weak college students who have had no training experience. So everything they do usually has positive effects. What PT's learn about eccentric is based off of studies on non trained individuals, some say eccentric portion provides greater growth than concentric but a lot of those studies TUT is not controlled for it is simply not the same conditions. Now the other problems with quoting studies with so called "trained individuals" well what does that mean. They may have been training for years with inferior methods is that still a trained individual? The research has a way to go. I was just reponding to the PT saying "the eccentric portion is where all the muscle is built" because we know that isn't true. TitanCT I wasn't remarking on your comment, you have been training for a decade I'm sure if you are doing something you have your reasons (results) to back it up.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #43
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
I agree research on methods used trained individuals is lacking greatly. Most is done on weak college students who have had no training experience.
That's actually a very common misconception, it's not lacking greatly. In fact the body of research is quite strong and backs up a considerable amount of practical evidence in the gym.

You just have to understand that one study or one article does not make something conclusive. I would consider something conclusive, in a scientific sense, if there have been a multitude of continued conclusions all pointing to the same thing over the course of many years. Only then would I personally feel comfortable in saying something to the effect of 'academic research shows'. Any researcher knows full well one study only contributes to the body of research it doesn't define it. You just need to approach these studies with some reasonable caution.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

I got my info from a meta analysis lol
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #45
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
I got my info from a meta analysis lol
Well that's a good start, why don't you post it up and we can have a look at what it says.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote