Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
mustgetbigger
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

mustgetbigger is off to a bad start
Default How many pounds of muscle can you gain?

I am just starting to lift and I was wondering what a goal I should have for myself for 3 months? How many pounds of muscle can I gain in these 3 months, or should I set for a realistic goal? Like I said I just started. I do not have a routine in place yet, so any advice you can give me is great. I am 26 years old, 215 pounds and am 5'9".
mustgetbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetbigger View Post
I am just starting to lift and I was wondering what a goal I should have for myself for 3 months? How many pounds of muscle can I gain in these 3 months, or should I set for a realistic goal? Like I said I just started. I do not have a routine in place yet, so any advice you can give me is great. I am 26 years old, 215 pounds and am 5'9".
It depends. I would not focus on what the scale says, rather on what weight you have on the bar and set goals for that in 3 months. As a raw beginner, you can add alot to your bench/squat and deadlift in that time. If you get stronger, you will get bigger, especially as a beginner you can se great results the first year and also build a good base.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetbigger View Post
How many pounds of muscle can I gain in these 3 months?
In three months?...Not a lot.
In three years?...Quite a bit.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
In three months?...Not a lot.
In three years?...Quite a bit.
this.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

If you've never lifted before, you can see some great results in 3 months. To get real appreciable mass gains it will take a while longer, but you (and others) should notice a difference in your appearance after 90 days of dedicated training.

As to a routine, I like full body routines, 3-4 times a week. My basic set up is

Squat
Bench
Row

Deadlift
Over head Press
Arms

Bench
Squat
Row

Power Clean
Deadlift (from raised blocks or a rack)
Over Head Press

It isn't real fancy, but its helped me get a lot stronger very quickly. Starting out, maybe drop the 4th day and see how it goes. Focus on your form, and once your form is solid, add weight to the bar when you can, in relatively small increments (5-10 pounds per session).
Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
mikethemighty
Brawn
Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

mikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality posts

In three months time you will not see that huge of a difference I am sure. Keep up the hard work and you will see results and get bigger like you have stated before that you want to.
mikethemighty is offline   Reply With Quote