Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
mustgetbigger
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

mustgetbigger is off to a bad start
Default Building muscle

If I decide to do cardio, will this deter my building muscles? I have heard that if you want to build muscles, just lift and stay away from the cardio. I like the idea of cardio, but then again, I must get bigger!
mustgetbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetbigger View Post
If I decide to do cardio, will this deter my building muscles? I have heard that if you want to build muscles, just lift and stay away from the cardio. I like the idea of cardio, but then again, I must get bigger!
Eat enough whole foods and cardio wont do nothing but good for your muscle building. I wont reccomend running long distance, but instead to keep it short and intensive. 20-30mins is enough of high intensity conditioning work in my book.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Like Swede said, it is actually helpful as long as you keep it regulated. You can't ride two horses with one ass, so keep the conditioning levels moderate.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Sort of depends on what you do for cardio. Running 5 miles a day may set you back a little, running 10 is more likely, and walking a couple miles a day never hurt anyone.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

if you wanna add mass, you gotta eat the cals you burned, thats why a lot of guys do not do cardio while adding mass. you need to have some excess calories to add mass.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Dante Trudel (doggcrapp) says to eat like you're 300 pounds, and do cardio like you're at 8% bodyfat. He advocates fasted cardio, and he's a pretty big fella. I haven't been able to do both for very long, but results may vary. Give it a try and see what you think.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Dante Trudel (doggcrapp) says to eat like you're 300 pounds, and do cardio like you're at 8% bodyfat. He advocates fasted cardio, and he's a pretty big fella. I haven't been able to do both for very long, but results may vary. Give it a try and see what you think.
D.T. does, but if heis an ectomorph, as i suspect...he shouldnt do much cardio because he's gonna have a hard time bulking as it is. doesnt need to worry about replacing cals that he burned doing cardio on top of trying to beat his metabolism.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
DanB
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: ....
DanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good posts

Dont see how improving the efficiency of the cardio-respiratory system would effect you negatively aslong as your diet is adequate to match your current goals.. increased recovery times between sets/ workouts removing waste from the system quicker, and increased work rate.. for larger muscle groups such as legs cardio fitness definitely plays a large roll in been able to reach real muscular failure and sustain a workout.

regardless of what training your doing imo cardio is a must, look after the ticker!
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Dont see how improving the efficiency of the cardio-respiratory system would effect you negatively aslong as your diet is adequate to match your current goals.. increased recovery times between sets/ workouts removing waste from the system quicker, and increased work rate.. for larger muscle groups such as legs cardio fitness definitely plays a large roll in been able to reach real muscular failure and sustain a workout.

regardless of what training your doing imo cardio is a must, look after the ticker!
my heart thumps plenty fast lifting weights when im bulking...just sayin
=0 )
Old 06-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
DanB
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: ....
DanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good posts

Haha! Although i believe there are cardio benefits to weight training I dont think the duration of continued intensity is adequate to properly overload the cardio-respiratory system into increased efficiency... unless your 80 and in cardio rehab lol.. just imo .. I have seen a few bodybuilders state they dont do any cardio though.. supose its more about looking fit that actually been fit for them.

Theres no such thing as a rest day, its a lifestyle that requires work everyday,
Bring it
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote