Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Building a Body building program for a beginner (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9875)

RobMoriRB 05-05-2012 09:04 AM

Building a Body building program for a beginner

I came up with a two day split for the Athlete this is how I did the split for the athlete to gain size. I was thinking about him starting for the first 3-4 weeks at 3x15. then start doing a 4 day split, he also plays rugby so that helps with the cardio

Upper
Bench
Incline Bench
DB Bench
DB flat fly bench
standing Bent Fly
DB shoulder press
Shrugs
Consentrated Curl
Tri DB pull up
Dips
Cardio on treadmill

Lower
Front squat
Back Squat
Leg press
Calf Raises
Leg Curls
Romanian Dead Lifts
Dead Lift
Incline sit ups
P90x ab work out
Cardio 20 min on treadmill

BigJosh 05-05-2012 10:02 AM

Are you looking for a critique or just sharing?

Off Road 05-05-2012 10:08 AM

In doing a bunch of research into training for athletes, I've come accross a core set of principals. These core principals are; Get strong, get fast, and get conditioned. If you want to throw "Get Big" into the mix, then diet will be a major part of the equation.

As far as lifting goes, the basics still work the best. To get bigger, stronger, and faster, you want to focus on progression with the Big Boy exercises; Press, Bench, Rows, Deads, Squats, and maybe some explosive movements. You aren't going to see a lot of 350 lb linemen spending a lot of time on things like chest flyes and consentration curls.

BendtheBar 05-05-2012 11:25 AM

Just to add to what Off Road said, if he's looking at getting big as well as strong, I would streamline. Just like in sports, it's best to start simple, work on fundamentals, and build a base.

Far too often we try to put every possible lift and variation into a 2-3-4 day system instead of focusing on maximizing the time with the best exercises. For a 2 day split, he'd be better served with something like John Christy's approach:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/app...on-thread.html

These types of basic workouts can really take a lifter quite far as far as muscle building goes.

TitanCT 05-05-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMoriRB (Post 238824)
I came up with a two day split for the Athlete this is how I did the split for the athlete to gain size. I was thinking about him starting for the first 3-4 weeks at 3x15. then start doing a 4 day split, he also plays rugby so that helps with the cardio

Upper
Bench
Incline Bench
DB Bench
DB flat fly bench
standing Bent Fly
DB shoulder press
Shrugs
Consentrated Curl
Tri DB pull up
Dips
Cardio on treadmill

Lower
Front squat
Back Squat
Leg press
Calf Raises
Leg Curls
Romanian Dead Lifts
Dead Lift
Incline sit ups
P90x ab work out
Cardio 20 min on treadmill

1. this is ridiculous. Where the hell are the back exercises? 5 chest exercise and not so much as a lat pulldown? you do realize if you dont train back and train back hard you get that oh so charming hunched back appearance, right?
2. what about his nutrition?
3. who cares about cardio if he's trying to bulk?
4. different muscle respond better to different rep ranges for hypertrophy.
5. might be better off using one of the beginner programs that have been tried, proven, and written by people with more experience with training others.

BigJosh 05-05-2012 01:39 PM

sooo.... i guess we're going the critique route.
I wouldn't recommend that routine to anyone.
It is inadequate and lacks rhyme or reason.
Too much fluff and a severe lack or proper exercise implementation.

RobMoriRB 05-05-2012 02:22 PM

that was what I was looking for lol.....I just threw it together pretty fast(in 20 mins) the gym he goes to lacks so much stuff, so im kinda in a gluster, an i will look at the tread.

RobMoriRB 05-05-2012 02:25 PM

First time I am doing a program for Body Building, so it was kind of hard for me to build it or think about it. I am more into Power Lifting so it is much different for me.

BigJosh 05-05-2012 02:31 PM

This may be a good A/B workout option for you. This routine was one I've done, and had a lot of programming input from some of the more experienced guys in this forum.

Workout A:
Deadlift 3x3
OHP 3x6
T-bar rows 3x8
db incline bench 3x8
db curls 3x8

Workout B:
Squats 3x6
Bench Press 3x5
DB Rows 3x8
Db lateral raises 3x8
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
Reverse Pec Deck 3x10

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...sh-weight.html

Just trying to give you an idea of some possible 2 day a week routines. Not saying this is the end all be all.

RobMoriRB 05-05-2012 02:36 PM

I just sent the athlete the josh thread one, because its simply for him. I told him don't expect to be a jay cutler in a year lol...he's still young so it works lol