Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Chest Building (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9613)

BendtheBar 04-11-2012 10:04 AM

Chest Building

Interesting topic, so I thought I would share. At M&S exercises are ranked by 2 factors:

1) Popularity
2) Rating

This creates a "weight", ranking the favorite exercises. The top 10 chest exercises currently are:

Quote:

1 - Dumbbell Pullover
2 - Dumbbell Flys
3 - Cable Crossovers (bent over)
4 - Incline Push Ups
5 - Smith Machine Wide Grip Bench Press
6 - Cable Crossovers (standing straight up)
7 - Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
8 - Cable Crossovers (mid chest)
9 - Deep Push Ups
10 - Push Up
Though this is only a small, initial cross section, it is interesting. The demographic average (Men 16-25) utilizes/likes pushups, flyes, crossovers and Smith bench.

BigJosh 04-11-2012 10:24 AM

Question in regards to this information, it is ranked by whom?

MC 04-11-2012 10:36 AM

I tried cable crossovers once a few weeks ago. I gotta say that for the rest of the day, my chest kept contracting and getting stuck in flexed position whenever I reached across my body. Oh, the pain!

BendtheBar 04-11-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 231835)
Question in regards to this information, it is ranked by whom?

Surfers.

Each exercise gets hundreds of views per day. The popularity is one factor. Surfers can also "star" rate exercises and comment. These are also factors.

So, ranked by the average person in the demographic.

BigJosh 04-11-2012 10:46 AM

Is it possible that these execises get the most views because people are the least familiar with them?
In other words, most guys know (basically) how to bench press, but they may be interested in seeing how to do some of these other movements. So just because they get the most hits doesn't necessarily make them the favorite, it could possibly make them the most researched due to a lack of understanding or familarity

Just throwing out ideas, not saying it is one way or the other.

I guess it's really hard to believe that there are 3 push up variations on the list and not one barbell bench press variation.

BendtheBar 04-11-2012 11:08 AM

No. Most traffic comes directly from Google searches for an exercise, or as a click-through from a specific workout they searched for. Also, if you look at the exercises, there are many more obscure exercises that don't get clicks or ratings.

Bounce rates, or the time on site and amount of clicks the average person makes on a site, are relatively small. M&S gets a million page views per day, and 98% of people are one-offs looking for specific info.

Also, hits are not the primary rating determiner. It is merely one factor. It's useless without comments or ratings.

I certainly don't have all the answers here, but it is interesting.

BigJosh 04-11-2012 11:14 AM

Interesting. Well, it's good they are trying to inform themselves.

TitanCT 04-12-2012 05:47 AM

Huh. I don't even use DB pullovers for chest now. Strictly Lats and seratus focus. Interesting it's number 1. Imo, can't beat a good ole press, db or bb.