Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
In order...
1. Increase calories (again if needed)
2. Increase quality of food
3. Increase sleep
4. Reduce stress
5. Plug in an extra rest day
6. Reduce to twice weekly full-body workouts
Yes, I think it's important not to lose sight of these basics. The first few times you stall and address that stall with an increase in calories/sleep etc is an important lesson to go through to fully appreciate the effect that these factors have on growth/strength.

Often times the more advanced lifters will talk about intensity cycling and it's just a given their other factors are in check. But these listed above are the first ones to get in order before intensity cycling happens.

Personally I would take a light week and go at it again. For example; what you describe here:

Quote:
If I do decreasing sets (so each set to the last rep possible and decreasing the load on the subsequent sets to fall in my rep range again) I get BRUTALLY strong over 3 weeks (20 pound increase on all sets), then in week 4 I weaken, overreach and loose strength RAPIDLY.
Take this one step further. Take the fourth week purposefully as a light week and you mitigate this problem and you set yourself up for another 3 weeks of successful training. Congratulations, you've just discovered one interpretation of intensity cycling

Do this for long enough and you will be stronger/bigger; as long as the factors listed above are in check.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Thank you'Fasc for the answer.

I am nevertheless not sure how hart to train in general.

As mentioned-when training each set to the last possible rep I get pretty strong for 3 weeks and crush then down. Also training this way only makes one pull and one push exercise possible. Everything else is too much.

When training via straight sets, progress is slower-but its possible to include more exercises (like shoulders, "back width") and progress on them too.

John christy has once written, that he recommends training at the edge of failure. so leaving one more POSSIBLE rep in reserve.

How do you see that?
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Flo,

If you are who I think you are from Casey's forum, then I know at least some of your poundages and your progress. Please do not take this as offensive, but you have had far more information presented here than you currently need. You need to stick to a relatively small pool of exercises and get strong on them for medium rep ranges. If you want something by name, the Texas Method would be fine for you right now.

Many approaches work, but the *magic* is in the consistent application of one. That is the only way to gain thorough knowledge on something, otherwise you are left scratching the surface. A little knowledge does not exempt you from the basics. As a Masters level professional I know you will understand the difference here.

I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Fazc,

Thank you for your words. Thats what we call a constructive Feedback.
I take it.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote