Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Advice, critique, etc -- Spanking new lifter --workout (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9555)

Jen 04-05-2012 12:03 PM

Advice, critique, etc -- Spanking new lifter --workout

I have done body pump for a couple years with very little results. If your not familiar with body pump, it's an hour long very high rep (800 total), very low weight workout class that targets all major muscle groups.

On March 28th, after doing research, etc. I started a 5X5 routine. Here it is:

Workout A

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row

Workout B

Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift

I seem to be progressing well (in the whole 5 sessions I've done) -- the first day I only squatted 65 pounds 5X5 (hangs head). Last night I did 105 5X5.

Bench was 45 5X5 first day, last night 85 2X5 1X2(fail) 1X3(fail) 1X2(fail)

Barbell rows started at 45 5X5 last night was 75 5X5 (and it felt kinda light)

Overhead Press has gone from 45 5X5 to 75 5X5

Deadlift went from 85 1X5 to 145 1X5.

I am really working on form (I do have a coach). I feel really good, except my quads are incredibly freaking sore. Although, I know these are baby weights. My DL goal is 315, and I know that will take years. Oh -- and of course, I am doing warm up sets -- I didn't post those for fear of boring you to death!

Thoughts? Suggestions? I want to make sure I'm not moving to fast -- or to slow. I also want to make sure this is enough.

Thank you in advance!!

bamazav 04-05-2012 12:16 PM

Great start and great progress. Keep it up for a few weeks and then re-evaluate.

How is nutrition looking? Sleep? What are your specific goals for the next few months?

MVP 04-05-2012 12:25 PM

Great progress thus far. Are you not doing pullups/pulldowns/chins? They would really benefit your other lifts and your core development.

TitanCT 04-05-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 230303)
I have done body pump for a couple years with very little results. If your not familiar with body pump, it's an hour long very high rep (800 total), very low weight workout class that targets all major muscle groups.

On March 28th, after doing research, etc. I started a 5X5 routine. Here it is:

Workout A

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row

Workout B

Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift

I seem to be progressing well (in the whole 5 sessions I've done) -- the first day I only squatted 65 pounds 5X5 (hangs head). Last night I did 105 5X5.

Bench was 45 5X5 first day, last night 85 2X5 1X2(fail) 1X3(fail) 1X2(fail)

Barbell rows started at 45 5X5 last night was 75 5X5 (and it felt kinda light)

Overhead Press has gone from 45 5X5 to 75 5X5

Deadlift went from 85 1X5 to 145 1X5.

I am really working on form (I do have a coach). I feel really good, except my quads are incredibly freaking sore. Although, I know these are baby weights. My DL goal is 315, and I know that will take years. Oh -- and of course, I am doing warm up sets -- I didn't post those for fear of boring you to death!

Thoughts? Suggestions? I want to make sure I'm not moving to fast -- or to slow. I also want to make sure this is enough.

Thank you in advance!!

Jen, Great start!
Some advice. Dont worry about being "weak" or embarrassed or anything else, it's all relative. Try to think of the poundage simply as numbers to use to gauge your progression. If you get too focused on hitting big weights, your form MIGHT suffer. Most important for you is to keep your weights controllable and your forms solid. You'll get more out of focusing on contractions and making that "mind muscle" connection. For instance, be clear on what muscles you should be using on a given exercise. On your Barbell rows, focus on the squeeze in your back when you pull the bar, dont just move the bar. REALLY focus on your back.

Start a log so we can follow a long with you and throw you some support to!

Finally, make sure your food is on point. Real progress towards goals always starts in the kitchen.

oh yeah...and start a workout log so we can follow along! keep killing it!! =0 )

gaspers04 04-06-2012 10:55 AM

Welcome to our madness!

Jen 04-06-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 230304)
Great start and great progress. Keep it up for a few weeks and then re-evaluate.

How is nutrition looking? Sleep? What are your specific goals for the next few months?

Working on diet, I sleep 7 hours the nights I work, about 9 my days off.

Specific goals -- to (ahem Titan...) lean out and just get stronger. Just to be healthy. To make not only my muscles stronger, but my heart, bones, etc.

If I do well enough a powerlifting competition might be fun next year. :)

Jen 04-06-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 230309)
Great progress thus far. Are you not doing pullups/pulldowns/chins? They would really benefit your other lifts and your core development.

Thank you! No, I haven't done any of those. I will talk to my coach about it. I know I couldn't do any at this point, but it would be an awesome goal to have!

Jen 04-06-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 230340)
Jen, Great start!
Some advice. Dont worry about being "weak" or embarrassed or anything else, it's all relative. Try to think of the poundage simply as numbers to use to gauge your progression. If you get too focused on hitting big weights, your form MIGHT suffer. Most important for you is to keep your weights controllable and your forms solid. You'll get more out of focusing on contractions and making that "mind muscle" connection. For instance, be clear on what muscles you should be using on a given exercise. On your Barbell rows, focus on the squeeze in your back when you pull the bar, dont just move the bar. REALLY focus on your back.

Start a log so we can follow a long with you and throw you some support to!

Finally, make sure your food is on point. Real progress towards goals always starts in the kitchen.

oh yeah...and start a workout log so we can follow along! keep killing it!! =0 )

Thanks!! I am starting my log today :) How did grocery shopping go today?

Jen 04-06-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 230537)
Welcome to our madness!

Madness= good

What the F is your avatar? That looks like a blood spray/smear pattern.

Ryano 04-06-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 230637)
Madness= good

What the F is your avatar? That looks like a blood spray/smear pattern.

That's Gaspers bench....He's serious when he benches. Most people get peticial hemorrhage when they hit a heavy lift, Gasp just outright bleeds. That's HARDCORE, right thar!:biglifter: