Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What is an SL deadlift? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9477)

titus_teen 03-28-2012 11:46 AM

What is an SL deadlift?

Who can tell me what an SL deadlift is and how to correctly do it.

ricka182 03-28-2012 12:06 PM

Stiff-Leg Deadlift.

Basically a deadlift, but without beding the knees. It will work the hamstrings very deep.

Here's a good link with more information, and a small animation of a properly executed Stiff-Dead.

Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlift

BigJosh 03-28-2012 01:12 PM

Not trying to be a d-bag or say anyone is wrong or anything like that, but from my understanding a stiff legged deadlift is in fact a deadlift without bending the knees as described above, but unlike the animation given as an example, a correctly done stiff legged deadlift starts and ends from the ground, just as a regular deadlift would.
This is just my understanding. I may be wrong. This is how rippetoe describes it.

This is often confused with a romanian deadlift that does indeed start and stop from the top of the movement.

I want to stress that this is just my opinion and I very well could be incorrect here.

Tannhauser 03-28-2012 02:26 PM

I'm not holding this up as a model of good practice, but here's how I do them. I kind of lock my legs in position, with a modest bend in it. I then try not to move my knees at all throughout the movement.

I figure that they are stiff-legged deadlifts, not straight-legged deadlifts :D

Hazzard 03-28-2012 04:20 PM

I kinda just group SL deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts together, in that the main action occurs at the hips and less-so at the knees, which puts most of the strain on the glutes and hamstrings.

5kgLifter 03-28-2012 04:27 PM

And for those that are flexible enough, the deficit SLDL can be useful; I've done them with a deficit of 5"+ and that helped hit the hamstrings whereas from the floor would not really work as well for me.

Doing them with a deficit means no rounded back either, if that occurs, then a person doesn't have the necessary reach to be doing them at a deficit and should do them from the standard range, namely the floor.

MVP 03-28-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titus_teen (Post 228057)
Who can tell me what an SL deadlift is and how to correctly do it.

Stiff leg deadlifts take quad drive out of the lift and adds the extra tension to the hamstrings.

You basically squeeze your quads at the bottom to keep the legs straight, then pull and since the legs do not extend during the pull it makes it more hip extension and applies to hamstring stimulus.

BendtheBar 03-29-2012 12:09 AM

This might sound nit picky, but stiff/straight are not the same as RDLs. RDLs are ridden down the legs while sticking the arse back. An RDL is basically hips moving back and forward, riding the weight down the legs. The RDL stops when the lower back wants to break, and the knees are allowed to break naturally. Ending point is usually somewhere slightly below the knee.

A Stiff leg deadlift on the other hand can go all the way to the floor, as seen in Tann's video. The back can round and the hips stay high. If the knees are bent they generally stay in the same position. The straight leg deadlift is another variation with locked legs.

Here is more info:

T NATION | Romanian vs. Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Romanian Deadlift vs. Stiff Legged Deadlift | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

BigJosh 03-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 228291)
This might sound nit picky, but stiff/straight are not the same as RDLs.

Doesn't sound nit picky at all. I think there is a lot of confusion around the semantics of Stiff legged vs. straight legged vs. romanian deadlifts.